Author Topic: Bosch AL 74x Alternator Upgrade question  (Read 7438 times)

bossanov

Bosch AL 74x Alternator Upgrade question
« on: January 13, 2013, 19:54:05 »
I am planning an upgrade from my 35am alternator to the Bosch AL 74x on  my '71 280SL.  I have checked the forum and have not found out how to handle the existing voltage regulator on the firewall.  I understand that the AL 74X has an internal regulator.  Do I just disconnect the external voltage regulator?

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Re: Bosch AL 74x Alternator Upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:43:55 »
I did that 55amp upgrade a few years ago, so I'm going by memory (wish I had taken notes). My external voltage regulator still sits by the right fender, but its wire terminations at the alternator are capped off (D- and DF I believe).
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:47:03 »
I upgraded to 55 amps using an AL72 alternator.  [Bosch uses the "x" to denote a rebuilt item, and independent rebuilders often follow suit.]  The point was to match the alternator to the existing regulator and wiring connectors rather than change to the internal regulator in the  AL74 alternator with the attendant modifications.  A further consideration is that the vendors usually want a matching "core" alternator returned in exchange; otherwise there's a "core charge" of maybe $20-$50 in addition to the advertised price.  When switching to a different alternator you don't have the same model to meet the requirement for a core.  The vendor I found doesn't require a core return.  Another nuisance avoided is that a pulley is included, installed; most rebuilts do not include the pulley, requiring its removal and reinstallation on the new alternator.  That's simple for the experienced and equipped mechanic but can be a challenge in the home garage.  This approach allows a simple one-for-one swap to upgrade to 55 amp generating capacity using all the original associated fittings, connections and regulator.    

The vendor is BNR in California.They've been in business since the 50s, seem to do good old-fashioned work at reasonable prices.  This item seems always to be one of the double handful of rebuilt AL72s offered on eBay.  Search for "AL72x alternator" in eBay Motors to compare a few; theirs is the ad that shows a picture of an actual product of theirs, in contrast to the others' stock photos copied from elsewhere, and also the only offering that includes a pulley, making it easy to pick out of the crowd.  When you open BNR's listing, scroll down to see their company info (further down below the Applications chart), to see if they're someone you'd be comfortable with.   I was, especially after calling the number they list.  And a few years later, still happy with my upgrade.    
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:01:53 by pagoden »
1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 19:21:19 »
This thread attracted my attention because I needed a new alternator as a part of my late 1966 or early 1967 230SL restoration.  I bought an AL74X 55Amp alternator from Rock Auto and it does not have an internal regulator.  I bought a new late model regulator for the fender from Bud`s Benz  (B234-170).

The problem with the AL74X 55Amp unit that does not exist with the AL64X 35Amp unit is the two connectors required for the back of the AL74X alternator.  For the benefit of those going through this upgrade, I have identified the connectors and an inexpensive (or at least reasonable) U.S. source for them.

They are both shown on the following page of the following web site:   http://www.repairconnector.com/categories/ALTERNATOR-CHARGING-SYSTEMS/IMPORT-ALTERNATOR-CONNECTORS/

The second connector from the left on the top row (RC1300J) is the correct connector for the regulator circuit of the alternator.  It has a D- connection, a D+ connection and a DF connection.  It is apparently the same connector as the one in our harness that plugs into the bottom of the voltage regulator on the right fender.

The left hand one on the second row (RC1401J)  is the one for the back of the alternator that has two B+ connections to handle the heavy battery charging current and a single smaller D+ connection.

It took me some time to find them so I thought I would post it here to save others some time.  They ship USPS also.

Tom Kizer

Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:10:17 »
Tom, and All - I got an AL74x in pretty good shape from a 114 junker sedan some years ago when I was just getting into the alternator upgrade issue.  I had read here that some Bosch 55 amp alternators used the same plug as our 113s and others required alterations to the wiring harness.  Models AL74 and AL72 were mentioned in that context but in reading all those posts I never learned which was which.  The donor 114 used a different plug than my 35 amp alternator and, unlike my car, had no external regulator on the fender near the intake manifold.  Plus, there was no evidence that there had ever been one mounted there, particularly as the alternator wiring just joined up with the rest of the sedan's wiring harness, leading me to the conclusion that the change in wiring at the alternator connection and apparent elimination of the external regulator in the wiring system meant that the AL74x in that car had an internal regulator.  Multiple vendors were offering the AL74 as being of the internal regulator type, which seemed to confirm that conclusion.  I chucked it and kept looking because I wanted to stay with the original wiring design, including connecting hardware, in my car.  Couldn't find such a creature in the boneyards, so eventually bought and installed my AL72x as described in previous post.  And that all seemed to make sense at the time -- plus has served me and the Pagoda as our maker of electricity very well ever since.

But now I'm puzzled.  I've seen AL74x models for sale described as both having, and not having, internal regulators.  And, sure enough, the only one I can find around here does indeed not have one inside.  And if I remember my setup correctly, I'm pretty sure its connector socket wouldn't mate up to the wiring on my 113.  So, does this represent a period of transition?  [I'm thinking they might be easily converted with a slick re-design of the brush carrier.]  And I don't even know on what models the AL72 appeared in original production.  [They seem to be less common than the 74s.]  

I am now certain only that an AL72 fits an early 1969 280SL with no alterations necessary, full stop.  [Also quite pleased that the vendor sees fit to supply it fully equipped with fan & pulley assembly and requires no (AL72 or any other) core in exchange.]

So I'm sorry, Tom and All, for misleading you, and hope there have been no bad outcomes or inconvenience as a result.  The fittings for conversion of AL74s to our cars is a solid find, made valuable to many by posting it here, in line with the fairly fabulous results you're getting with threaded rod, Tom.  
1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 03:52:26 »
Thanks, Dennis, but wait until I get my car running before you pat me on the back.
I still haven't finished that axle yet, nor have I wired that alternator yet.
Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)