Author Topic: Bleeding a 230sl brake system  (Read 5353 times)

n/a

Bleeding a 230sl brake system
« on: July 09, 2004, 10:00:37 »
I am in need of help bleeding the brakes on my '65 230sl.

I have recently changed the Master Cylinder and both front calipers.

Unfortunatley, I have not been able to maintain pressure in the system...getting a little bit frustrated with it.

So...I have bled the system by starting at the futhest point from the master cylinder (RR) then (RL), (FR) and (FL) last.

The result is as follows:   I can pump the system until i get good pressure and it will maintain the pressure.  As soon as i release the pressure, the peddle goes to the floor again.

I can only imagine that there is still air in the system.

Any thoughts or tips are appreciated.

'65 230 SL and lovin' it!

Dedicated To Glenn...She was your baby - I will keep this dream alive!

n/a

Re: Bleeding a 230sl brake system
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 12:05:26 »
Welcome to the Group!

I assumed you checked all the lines and looked for leaks.  I just bled a system that had been sitting for a long time and when I started pumping fluid through, I found a leak in one of the rear flex lines.  Once I got everything bled, I found that one of the rear wheel cylinders was leaking, so I was losing fluid that way.  I'm sure the more expert members will chime in with better advice, but I just did this two days ago, so it was fresh on my mind.

Dan

1965 230 SL Euro 4 speed
2004 230 SLK

George Davis

Re: Bleeding a 230sl brake system
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 13:28:02 »
There may be air trapped in the master cylinder.  This is from a post by Joe Alexander:

"probably an air block in the master. Try tghtening all lines and then pump the brakes. While pedal is held down to the floor, loosen the rear brake line at the master cylinder. Before allowing the pedal to come back up tighten the line down again. Repeat the process until a strong stream of fluid flows from the master. Then bleed the brakes. Be careful brake fluid is a very good paint remover!"

The only addition is you probably have to do this for both front and rear, since you replaced the m/c.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual