Author Topic: Seat Belt Photo  (Read 6610 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Seat Belt Photo
« on: August 03, 2005, 12:27:29 »
Jim Huber asked for 3-point seat belt photos.  Here are a couple.  Note that the headrest does not factor into the seatbelt issue at all.

I have found my copies of the tech bulletin, they are too large for this 80K limit so if anyone wants a copy, let me know offline.

BTW if I appear a bit tiresome with the seatbelt issue, on December 19, 1975, I "ate" and went through the windshield of an MGC-GT while broadsiding a Cadillac that ran a red light.  I was a passenger in this MG w/o seatbelts.  Many days in the hospital, several operations, etc. So cut me some slack. ;)

Download Attachment: BeltS.jpg
46.29 KB

Download Attachment: InteriorS.jpg
59.33 KB

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Re: Seat Belt Photo
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 12:36:29 »
Michael,
I sympathise with your experience with the lack of seatbelts.
My 1967 230SL with the diesel motor was a wreck before I bought it.
The car apparently back in the late 60's was in a massive frontal collision.  The car was repaired half way at the dealer before being abandoned and pushed into the corner of the lot(dealership location rests underneath a highway now).  
I bought the car and put it back together to see what was missing and in bad condition.  I discovered that the dash was crooked-apparently pushed in about 2 inches and up about an inch.  Ouch, that was a major ouch with the occupants' knees who had no seatbelts.
So it pays off to install the seatbelts, which I will in this car.
Walter
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 12:37:44 by waltklatt »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 12:44:26 »
Thanks Mike. Glad you are still with us to tell your story. Keep telling it. Many would if they only could.

I initially got the impression the headrests helped hold the strap in place -- but now realize it only looks that way when there's not a body in place... Am I right that when unstrapped, the belt lays off to the side for the most part?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 15:04:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Thanks Mike. Glad you are still with us to tell your story. Keep telling it. Many would if they only could.

I initially got the impression the headrests helped hold the strap in place -- but now realize it only looks that way when there's not a body in place... Am I right that when unstrapped, the belt lays off to the side for the most part?

James
63 230SL

Actually Jim, when the seat belts are NOT in use, they will retract and become somewhat invisible as the retraction is fairly complete, and the belts just hang in tension, completely vertically, if you so choose.  The only issue of appearance is perhaps the long receptors, which on occasion can actually scratch the wood box.  It isn't too bad though, and a small price to pay.  Some have been bothered by the long receptors, and have fitted shorter ones from goodness knows where.  Others have done their own fitting, but frankly I'm glad mine is in, done and done to the factory tech bulletin.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 17:14:41 »
I put in the inexpensive Wesco Performance ones.  They are black and look just like any other belt.  The receiver/latch ends were too long, which caused the lap belt to ride too high.  So, I took them to a good luggage shop and had them shortened by half and re-sewn with the same pattern as the original.  The Wescos cam with plastic guides to hold the receiver upright.  I was able to cut those as well.  The length of the receiver is now just right and doesn't scratch the center box.  I used the hard points the factory provided.  Except for the trip to the luggage shop, it took all of about a half hour to install.  Much safer.

Here are photos of the installation before the shortening procedure.  This is a Coupe, so the shoulder attaching point is slightly different.  There is no top well to conceal the back strap in.  The covered retractor is exposed in the footwell of the 2+2 arrangement.  I don't have photos of the finished job and the car is still in the paint shop until next week.  

Download Attachment: Shoulder strap - s.JPG
79.16 KB

Download Attachment: Fastened - s.JPG
75.05 KB

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 19:31:50 »
Good work Raymond, and some applause for the least costly method; clearly the Mercedes system is more expensive and considerably more difficult to install as it hides everything and makes it look like they belong there.

Jim Villers had another method using a different belt on his 5-speed.

Anyone contemplating a 3rd party method should at least look at the MB tech bulletin so you can see where they put things and all the requisite anchor points.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid