Author Topic: The Dreaded Soft Top Curl - a C&S fix  (Read 7978 times)

George Davis

The Dreaded Soft Top Curl - a C&S fix
« on: August 08, 2005, 10:46:46 »
C&S = cheap and sleazy

Recent discussion of the dreaded curl, along with some severe curling on my soft top, prompted me to seek a fix that doesn't involve replacing or regluing the top.  This is what I came up with.  With apologies to puristas... ;)

Download Attachment: CurlFix0.JPG
20.42 KB

Download Attachment: CurlFix1.JPG
19.12 KB

Download Attachment: CurlFix2.JPG
63.2 KB

The pics should be fairly self explanatory.  I sewed three 12 inch long (30 cm) pieces of fabric twill tape (1/2 inch (12 mm) wide) to the underside of the curled edge, using a curved sewing needle and nylon upholstery thread.  The stitches go through the small loose edge of the top fabric that you'll see there.  Not real easy to sew there, but it can be done, and only stabbed myself once :) .  A neat trick my wife showed me was to fold over the end of the twill tape twice, this gives you a stronger hold on it and prevents fraying.

The twill tape was then held inside the top with the masking tape you see in the second pic, and the top closed, leaving the tapes inside.  Hold the curled edge down with a weight or have an assistant hold it down.  Inside the car, a plastic spring loaded drawstring catch is slipped over each tape.  Snug up each of the drawstring catches until they are wedged between the rear top frame and the top case lid.  This, amazingly enough, holds the curl down.  The twill tape is on the underside of the curl, so not visible from outside.

If you do this, you will want to put something between the drawstring catches and the case lid to protect the paint.  A piece of cloth would probably work, or something similar.  That clear plastic stuff that is used to prevent chips in paint and/or headlight lenses might be good, if you want something semi-permanent.

If you put your top up and down a lot, this method might be a bit of nuisance to do every time, and I don't think it is possible to pull the curl down from inside, it needs to be held down outside somehow.

Then go drink a 7-Up, the Uncurla!  Sorry, sorry...

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: The Dreaded Soft Top Curl - a C&S fix
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 11:31:45 »
There´s a much simpler method I´m afraid.

When you put the soft top down in the well, make sure you fold the corners underneath the frame, rather than allowing them to be folded upwards, as they would otherwise automatically do (a design flaw which actually causes the corners to fold / they just sit there folded up in the well sometimes for months at a time, no wonder they stay that way when the top goes up).

My car had perenially curled up corners, until I came across this tip of folding them down when lowering the top. After one night, the corners remained nice and flat when I put up the top.

Folding them down into the well can be a bit difficult to do. Richard Madison fabricated a ´shoe tree´ out of a plastic water jug if I recall correctly, to make it easy. I just use my hands.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 11:33:16 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 11:32:56 »
Nice one George (although you obviously have too much time on your hands...)  :)

My cure is much simpler -- keep the top down!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 17:41:25 »
I have done for a long time what Cees says: Just reach in and fold the edges down. You may have to lift the top slightly while you do that. I also use a sheet of cardboard to make the edges of the top slide past the rubber seal strip.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 22:15:33 »
Well, I did the suggested fold-the-corners down method and obviously it would work.  However, today, when I parked the car, the top bonnet looked like it was raised in the middle.  In fact, I could push down on it at the seal.  I opened the bonnet, raised the top and untucked the corners to lay as they naturally would on stowage.  The top then settled into the well further and the bonnet closed with a tight seal all the way around, as it should and always has.   With the corners tucked under, the top sits too high and puts too much pressure on the bonnet away from the latches.  I'll stick with the curled corners after a summer of sitting in the well and flatten them another way come fall.  Have to be careful when deviating from factory design.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

floatinghat

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:25:53 »
Whatever happened to George Davis?

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 15:39:35 »
Last seen here august 31st 2007.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Witt

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 02:32:20 »
Well, I did the suggested fold-the-corners down method and obviously it would work.  However, today, when I parked the car, the top bonnet looked like it was raised in the middle.  In fact, I could push down on it at the seal.  I opened the bonnet, raised the top and untucked the corners to lay as they naturally would on stowage.  The top then settled into the well further and the bonnet closed with a tight seal all the way around, as it should and always has.   With the corners tucked under, the top sits too high and puts too much pressure on the bonnet away from the latches.  I'll stick with the curled corners after a summer of sitting in the well and flatten them another way come fall.  Have to be careful when deviating from factory design.

......I usually also remove the two locking pins that fasten the ST to the top of the windshield entirely to prevent the ST from being compressed to much. I am always afraid that those pins will poke through the ST-cover......paranoid?

CHEERS !
WITT !

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 05:52:17 »
Whatever happened to George Davis?

He was Innocent, OK

(one for the older brits)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather