Author Topic: Antenna replaced...What angle?  (Read 3945 times)

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
Antenna replaced...What angle?
« on: May 23, 2006, 20:12:52 »
Taking Bob Possel's advice, I replaced the antenna without removing the A/C.   But, it was tough :? ;   I had to cut the old antenna with bolt cutters and still couldn't get it out.   So, it's in the hollow space with the new antenna installed as well.   Wow!   What a difference to get more than two stations and the Wireless iPod works great.

Now, I've looked at the frappr and forum pictures and see a variety of angles for the group's antennae.   All my SL books have the antenna retracted in the pics.

Which way should it point?   My new one 'settled' pointing slight outward, but I would have guessed that a lean following the pillar of the windshield is more accurate...Thoughts?
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Douglas

Re: Antenna replaced...What angle?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 20:17:42 »
The angle should mimic the angle of the windshield. It should be almost parallel.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Lindsay

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 01:40:48 »
Is this angle correct for the Hirschmann power antennae as well? They have a drainage hole in the bottom center of the power mechanism that leads to a small drain tube.This is used to drain water out that may have entered the mechanism along the antenna shaft. If the antenna is angled parallel to the windshield post the drainage hole would no longer be at the lowest point in the power mechanism case. Hence, some amount of water would permanently collect inside the unit and most likely corrode the components.

Lindsay (Southern California)
1971 280SL
180G, 396 G  Top
M-B Tex  Blue

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 01:19:49 »
The power antenna was mounted in the top of the rear quarter panel, left side.

DaveB
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:20:42 by DaveB »
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190