Author Topic: About Some Parts  (Read 15471 times)

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
About Some Parts
« on: July 27, 2003, 18:00:35 »
I use the term "113" here because I don't know the specific models that these parts belong on...I noticed them in several cars but they might all have been 280 SL's...the replies will set us straight as to which models have these items...regret this failing on my part but I don't have one of each model in the garage at this time :o)

Finding parts for 113’s can be difficult without part numbers. MB parts departments and resellers have spent hours looking for some part that I suddenly decide I must have. So here’s a little information to save some time (and for one part, possibly save some $$$).

Rubber Plugs
Some late? 113’s should have a rubber plug in the three holes on each side of the engine compartment, inside fender wall, just below the line of spot welds. [this may be for later cars only so don't panic if the holes are not there.] The MB parts list calls it an “Expansion Plug” with six required per car. Since there are a total of six holes on along the sides, it appears that the same holes on the top inside of the grill may not require plugs.  The part number is A113 987 00 44, about 70 cents each. Pete Lesler ("W113SL" on this Forum) also has these plugs available and Pete’s are somewhat nicer in finish although unless it’s Sherlock Holmes, the typical engine compartment “inspector” won’t notice the difference. Photo shows one plug near a shiny brown fender of a late 280 SL.

Download Attachment: Engn_wall_plug.jpg
5.58 KB

Rubber Bumpers
All? 113’s should have three 2 inch long rubber bumpers on the weld seam at the top rear of the engine compartment. Each bumper is positioned where one of the hood reinforcements hits the top of the seam when the hood is closed; about 1/3 from one side, the center, and 1/3 in from the other side. The trick to ordering these “bumpers” (not sure of the official part name) is that they do not appear on 113 parts lists; must search for 190 SL parts. Regret that I do not have a part number but mine were found under 190 SL parts. The photo shows two of the three in place, one is in the shadow.

Download Attachment: Engn_wall_bmpr.jpg
9.94 KB

Locking Gas Cap
113’s have an “official” MB locking gas cap, part number A 000 471 47 30. There is another cap with number A 000 471 20 30. Both caps are virtually identical but one is about half the cost of the other. Now that I have your attention, here are the details.

The keys to the “official” 113 cap (47 30) have black plastic tops similar to original 280 SL? keys. The keys to the “other” cap (20 30) are all metal with a rounded rectangular shape. This is the major difference in the two caps, certainly not enough to justify a List Price for the “official” cap of $165, while the ”other” cap lists for about $111. With typical discounts, the cost of the “official” would be about $130, the “other” about $85. Both caps fit exactly, have the same bright chrome finish with MB star and two keys.

If you order a locking gas cap for a "W113" car, most MB dealers will supply the more expensive "official" cap since that is what is listed on the MB parts database (except Tom Hanson, Caliber Motors who knows about the "other" cap). When you order a cap, be sure to give the part number of the cap you prefer. And since key design is the major difference, I believe the less expensive cap can be used on any W113 car.

I recently bought the “other" cap and am most pleased with not only how it looks but how fat my wallet is.

Caution: be sure to turn any locking gas cap about half way around until you feel it hit the stop. Sad tales of lost caps that seemed tight but were not. (Photo not available)

Cockpit Cover

I suspect our California friends know about this but some of us East Coasters are a little slow about some things. I am pleased with a recent purchase of a Cockpit Cover for the 113;  covers the windshield and entire interior. It's prevented from “walking away” by three canvas straps that fit into the groove in the trunk seal. When the trunk is closed on the three straps, the cover is not easily removed by a jealous passerby.

Cover protects against sun, light rain, bird droppings and similar catastrophes;  made of the same material as the full car cover. Held in place by Velcro straps around the mirror and door handle, wipers hold the cover to the windshield; light gray printed with the MB Star and “Mercedes Benz” on one side. Might have to ask for the cover as an R107 part, it’s not listed or sold for 113 cars but it fits 113's perfectly. About $50 from MB, Part MB Q-6-60-0053. Believe they are made for MB by California Car Cover. Photo shows the cover on an R107.

Download Attachment: cockpit_cover.jpg
10.01 KB

Sorry if I went on a bit about this, hope it's useful. Perhaps others can add more information and more items.

Richard M
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 04:39:41 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
Re: About Some Parts
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 23:37:51 »
Richard,

Thanks for the great information.  Just for the record, my (very original) '66 230SL doesn't have the Expansion Plugs in the engine compartment (I didn't remember seeing such a thing, so I had to go out and look after I read your post.)  I guess it's something that was added later.

Now if only a list member who has a 190SL can post the rubber bumper part numbers, I'll put an order in.  (At the suggestion of some folks at the Blacklick Tech Session, I tried to order these from Metro Molded Rubber, but no luck).

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

Longtooth

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 03:35:01 »
May I question your designation of "113"'s since it appears your designation differs from a couple of the features on my 113 ('67 250SL US, # 113 043 10 002163) in 2 respects:

1) The 'official' gas cap with keys having a black plastic top: -- my 250SL owners manual has a very nice picture of the square key for the gas cap and doors... it's identical to the metal key I have... neither have a plastic top, nor does the key's description in the owner's manual describe it as having a plastic top... just a square key (1 of 3 keys that are described for the car).

2) I didn't recall having 3 Rubber plugs (& holes) below the spot weld line (next to fenders) on each side of engine compartment (3 per side): --- so I went out and rechecked just now.  I have no such holes (nor plugs).  Your photo shows a plug just to the fore of the window-washer pump (in-line with it's attachment to the body)... so I can testify that it definitely isn't there on mine... among the others. All body numbers match, btw, and welds are distict, all pieces & parts are original pieces --- extensive examination by a restoration expert found nothing to indicate any damage / body panels replaced (it was taken down to metal to repaint and that would certainly have shown any rewelded panels).

My only point is that I've seen a few posts on this forum that describe '113' which may only apply to to some limited models or a specific date range of manufacture.  There were several changes in small details from the earliest 230's to the last 280's... all are 113's.  It would help when posting '113' information to also include the year, chassis number of the vehicle to which the info applies... since it may not apply to all official 113's.

IF my Chassis is incorrect, or my gas-cap key is for some reason identical to the picture in my owners manual, but yet not the for the "official" locking gas cap (which is described in my owner's manual... it didn't say 'optional' locking gas cap, btw) I'd appreciate a response to set me straight.

BTW, mine has the rubber bumpers at the top of the engine compartment rear wall --- above the firewall padding.  After the car was painted I came across these bumpers in one of the boxes of items that were removed before painting... and had totally forgotten what they were for.  I showed one to my friend who's a restorer and he recognized it immediately... they're effectively vibration dampers so that the hood doesn't touch metal when being closed (dropped into closed position)and perhaps also to take care of tolerances ---- between top of body and top of front hood which need to be flush at the surface.... the tolerances from the underside of the hood and the topside of the body railing at the back of the engine compartment (below the window) could be very small and leave almost no clearance...  letting the hood vibrate on the edge rail at the top of the engine compartment.  The 3 rubber cushions could also be there to insure there's no metal to metal contact under close tolerance near zero clearance conditions.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
95 SL500

W113SL

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 07:10:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Longtooth

May I question your designation of "113"'s since it appears your designation differs from a couple of the features on my 113 ('67 250SL US, # 113 043 10 002163) in 2 respects:

1) The 'official' gas cap with keys having a black plastic top: -- my 250SL owners manual has a very nice picture of the square key for the gas cap and doors... it's identical to the metal key I have... neither have a plastic top, nor does the key's description in the owner's manual describe it as having a plastic top... just a square key (1 of 3 keys that are described for the car).

Hey Longtooth: I have a 1967 250SL Vin is 113043-010-00579.  You are correct about the locking gas cap.  The early cars had three keys,  One for the doors, one for the truck and glove box and one for the gas cap.  They were all metal. I am not certain when the change to one key was made, but most 280SL's used one key for all.  If you buy a replacement gas cap, a good lock smith can modify the tumblers so as to accept the glove box key in the case of the early cars and the single key in the case of the 280SL's.

My car has the original inner fendors without the circular holes.  I believe only replacement inner fenders and 280SL's had this feature.  Perhaps for body schutz installation and/or in order to allow this rust prone area to breathe.

Pete Lesler W113SL@aol.com

Albert-230SL

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 01:37:16 »
Hi Richard,

About the cockpit cover... It's really a very useful thing for Pagodas without soft top (as "California" versions, or Pagodas ordered without soft top -code 415 in the Data Card-), or even for other classic roadsters with slow and difficult to close soft tops.
But is it useful when the Pagoda has soft top?
Because the Pagoda was known as "the fastest soft top in the world" when it was launched, and has a very easy, fast and neat soft top system (with no plastic covers with lots of clamps, etc). When I look other classic (and even modern) roadsters, the soft top system is one of the first points to understand how well made and designed is the Pagoda! ...and it looks much better with the soft top up than with this cockpit cover  :)  (Attached picture to compare)

Regards,

Download Attachment: 280 SL softtop.jpg
40.82 KB

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 06:43:50 »
Richard,

Thanks for the information on some original features of our cars.  A couple of additional thoughts:

1.  The expansion plugs were added to later models of the 113 in connection with improved rust protection.  My source for this is the Mercedes Collector published by Frank Mallory that has a section on rust proofing.  Frank's original source was the German Pagoda Club article on same.  So David, your car not having these holes is understandable.

2.  The cockpit cover is a must have whether you have a soft top or not.  The cover provides some protection from the rain but more importantly, keep dust and debris from entering the cockpit when parked.  I have one purchased from Precision Auto that is more taut (tight) at the rear, essentially creating a wedge shape from the windshield to the trunk.  This gives better rain protection as the rain will run off the cover as opposed to the cover in the picture that could collect water, allowing it to seep in the car more easily.

Best,

Tom

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

Albert-230SL

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 07:26:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tom

Richard,

Thanks for the information on some original features of our cars.  A couple of additional thoughts:

1.  The expansion plugs were added to later models of the 113 in connection with improved rust protection... So David, your car not having these holes is understandable.

2.  The cockpit cover is a must have whether you have a soft top or not.  The cover provides some protection from the rain but more importantly, keep dust and debris from entering the cockpit when parked.  I have one purchased from Precision Auto that is more taut (tight) at the rear, essentially creating a wedge shape from the windshield to the trunk.  This gives better rain protection as the rain will run off the cover as opposed to the cover in the picture that could collect water, allowing it to seep in the car more easily.

Best,

Tom

Hi Tom,

1. Thanks for that info. My '64 230 SL has not that expansion plugs, so now I know that it's OK

2. Agree about the cockpit cover protection from the rain, dust, etc. from entering the cockpit when parked, but: does it give better protection and faster operation than the original soft top? Because I spend very few seconds in opening/closing the soft top, and it gives full protection to the cockpit. My question is: Why to use the cockpit cover instead of the soft top?

Thanks and regards,

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 07:47:42 »
Albert:
If a soft top goes up and down easily and quickly, maybe a cockpit cover is not needed although using the cover would still reduce the wear and tear on the soft top from putting it up and down...

My car (and I suspect a number of others) does not have "the fastest soft top in the world". If you watch me take the soft top down, you would laugh at how many times I run from one side of the car to the other to make sure that the two "shoe horns" are in place (to prevent cutting by the knife sharp soft top compartment wall edge), then you would watch and wait while I put the "required" towel in the fold of the rear window, then you would be amused as fit the two flannel cloths between the top cover hinges and the (still clean) tan top. This entertainment would amuse you for 5 to 10 minutes and is especially fun to watch if it has already started raining.

So for me, the cockpit cover is far easier and faster and helps keep the soft top in nice condition.

Richard M

Douglas

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 11:03:20 »
Albert,

I also use one of the covers that Richard mentioned. The reason I prefer it to the soft top in certain situations mainly to block sunlight. If I have no choice but to park the car in a sunny spot, the soft top won't really protect the interior from the sun (especially the wood). Plus, even the soft top itself will fade over time from direct sunlight.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

TA250SL

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 21:27:54 »
The set of 3 rubber bumpers was available at K&K when I purchased mine a few months ago.  I don't have part numbers, but was told they are the same as from a 190SL.  If you describe the part they will know what you want.

Tom

Albert-230SL

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 03:51:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by 280SL71

Albert:
If a soft top goes up and down easily and quickly, maybe a cockpit cover is not needed although using the cover would still reduce the wear and tear on the soft top from putting it up and down...

My car (and I suspect a number of others) does not have "the fastest soft top in the world". If you watch me take the soft top down, you would laugh at how many times I run from one side of the car to the other to make sure that the two "shoe horns" are in place (to prevent cutting by the knife sharp soft top compartment wall edge), then you would watch and wait while I put the "required" towel in the fold of the rear window...

Richard M

Thanks Richard and Doug for your answers about the cockpit cover.

Richard, how and why are you putting that "required" towel in the fold of the rear window?. I don't put any towel or flannel cloths when taking the soft top down, and it works easy, quick*, and clean -perhaps still clean because it's black  ;)

* Believe me, I can open or close the soft top faster than my brother's R129 500 SL automatic soft top, although it's better if the co-driver helps during the operation!

Regards,

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2003, 10:05:28 »
Albert:

The "required" towel was suggested in the original instructions for care of the soft top from the maker, Electron of NY. They make tops for many re-sellers in the US.

The instructions (which I don't have in front of me) suggested putting something between the folded window to prevent the two surfaces from rubbing. This may not be absolutely necessary but it's the outside  surfaces that meet when the top is folded and some dirt or grit on one surface will rub the other surface.

As to the flannel towlettes, I noticed that the my light color (tan) top was showing some stress where the two hinge bars touch the top when the compartment cover is closed so I put something between the hinge bars and the top at the rub points.

Maybe this is overkill, but I want the top to last a while.
Richard M

Longtooth

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2003, 13:37:33 »
Richard - about soft-top speed comparisions of a 113 and SL500... I have both in my stable... I'm not nearly as fast as you are putting down the 113 top though... no matter how fast I try my wife's SL500 goes down faster from the 'go' signal... but 'go' starts with us both in the car driver's seat.  All she has to do sit there and pull on the little red switch.  By the time I've got mine down & made sure the boot's latched on the passanger side,... but I include aligning my cotton liner (protection) on the well edge so the interior top doesn't rub on that well edge.... her boot cover has long since clicked into final down position.

I don't use a cotton towel between the window folds though.... but I'm now going to ... no sense lousing up a good softtop with window's 'fogged' up where they touch in the fold.

The other thing about the SL500's auto top is you can do it at a stop-light without worrying about whether the light's going to change to green.... and don't have to get out of the car.  I'll admit that I do this in my 113 from time to time... and will say that onlookers are impressed with how easily and relatively quickly it goes down for a manual top.... and the boot cover finishes it off so nicely that some people have said they didn't know that the 113's they see with the top down had a soft-top at all... they just thought the pogada top had been taken off.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
95 SL500

Albert-230SL

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 07:02:52 »
quote:

Rubber Bumpers
All? 113’s should have three 2 inch long rubber bumpers on the weld seam at the top rear of the engine compartment. Each bumper is positioned where one of the hood reinforcements hits the top of the seam when the hood is closed; about 1/3 from one side, the center, and 1/3 in from the other side. The trick to ordering these “bumpers” (not sure of the official part name) is that they do not appear on 113 parts lists; must search for 190 SL parts. Regret that I do not have a part number but mine were found under 190 SL parts. The photo shows two of the three in place, one is in the shadow.

Download Attachment: Engn_wall_bmpr.jpg
9.94 KB
Richard M

More information about the "Rubber Bumpers" in:

http://index.php?topic=623

Regards,
Albert

Douglas

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 10:07:32 »
Heads-up: A parts dealer is selling the non-vented gas cap for a 113 for $125 on ebay right now. That's an excellent price. I just bought one and he has 8 left right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905050946&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 10:25:00 by Douglas »

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2004, 23:15:54 »
hood bumpers are PN 000-987-15-40
About $7.00 for a set of three.
These things are there to absorb vibrations that the hood will have while driving. The two screws with rubber bumpers need to be adjusted so that the hood will lay perfectly level with the surrounding body metal. When everything is set up right the hood will look good and not shake or move around.

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

pembash

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2004, 06:01:30 »
Thanks. But you posted the info. too late. The auction had already ended.
Best
Bob
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

Heads-up: A parts dealer is selling the non-vented gas cap for a 113 for $125 on ebay right now. That's an excellent price. I just bought one and he has 8 left right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905050946&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Douglas

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2004, 07:13:07 »
The seller had 10 of them for sale at a fixed price and 8 were still left at the end of the auction. I'm sure you can still get one if you contact him.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2004, 05:46:12 »
Benz Dr.
Could I ask you to recheck this part #:

hood bumpers are PN 000-987-15-40

I ordered three and received three coin shaped rubbers with a hole in its center, about an inch in diameter and 1/4 inch thick?

Thanks
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2004, 08:11:13 »
That part number is correct acording to my parts book.  I'll look into this.

You're first mistake was going somewhere else to get them ~)

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2004, 08:17:29 »
Unfortunately, it was from your least favoured supplier - MB [:(!]

Another glass of Pelee I owe you??

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2004, 09:00:10 »
FYI, my 1969 does indeed have the "expansion plugs" that you speak of...however the engine judge at Starfest said didn't belong there....D I N G....there goes a point...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 09:03:53 »
Naj and others:

There is some confusion about the hood bumpers. I think Dan was referring to the two round bumpers that support the right and left side of the hood. These are round rubber 1/2? inch bumpers that sit in a flat top screw that is adjusted up or down to get the hood to fit and rest correctly when it is closed.

The bumpers I think Naj is looking for are about 2 inches inches long, about 1/4 inch wide with a grove on the bottom to place the bumper astride the knife edge of the firewall. Three bumpers are placed on the firewall where each of the reinforcing struts are located on the underside of the hood.

These firewall bumpers are listed for the 190 SL but not for the W113's. The 190 pieces are correct for the Pagodas.  I also have anecdotal info that the material is sometimes sold as a single strip that is cut as needed. "Douglas" recently ordered these from a supplier. Mine were from K&K Manufacturing about a year ago.

Richard M

Albert-230SL

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 10:34:25 »
quote:

Naj and others:

There is some confusion about the hood bumpers. I think Dan was referring to the two round bumpers that support the right and left side of the hood. These are round rubber 1/2? inch bumpers that sit in a flat top screw that is adjusted up or down to get the hood to fit and rest correctly when it is closed.

The bumpers I think Naj is looking for are about 2 inches inches long, about 1/4 inch wide with a grove on the bottom to place the bumper astride the knife edge of the firewall. Three bumpers are placed on the firewall where each of the reinforcing struts are located on the underside of the hood.

These firewall bumpers are listed for the 190 SL but not for the W113's. The 190 pieces are correct for the Pagodas.

Hi Richard,

We finally found these three firewall bumpers in the W113 Spare Parts list: http://index.php?topic=623

Regards

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 10:58:46 »
I only have two of the three hood bumpers that sit on the welded edge.  Are there any sources that manufacture the original square looking type?  I understand that replacements are rounded???  Please advise.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1987 560SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL