Author Topic: Seat Belts  (Read 4755 times)

dasvinger

• Junior Level
  • USA, NC, Durham
Seat Belts
« on: March 20, 2007, 20:58:02 »
My newest toy(67 250 SL) came in without seatbelts.Were these dealer installed,or did they do it in Germany? also are there anchor points in the floor area,or did they drill the floor like earlier dealer addons?What should I be looking for?
Ideas? Thanks...Fred
'67 250SL White/Blue/Bamboo int

Roman Kishi

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Fairfax
Re: Seat Belts
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 23:27:09 »
Welcome to the forum Fred

If you do a search on "Seat Belts" you will find plenty of info and pics. You can install the old style Kangol belts or you can install modern 3 point retractable belts....better for safety and comfort.

Roman
Northern Virginia
280 1969,Signal Red, Auto
Roman
Northern Virginia
280 1969,Signal Red,Parchment Leather, Auto, A/C

jsaylor

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 00:55:24 »
Fred,

There should be anchor points for belts @ rear floors.  If you look from under side of the floors you will see the brackets(rectangle w/ center nut and two side nuts and bolts).  There are also mounts for buckle end on the trany tunnel just aft of center of the center box.  Feel for the concaved dimple in the side of the tunnel.  My car is far from show though I like to keep it looking proper so I added generic retractable belts w/ the retractors under rear shelfs.  There are also mounts @ the top center of the corner posts (just aft of doors).  If you remove the vinyl/leather covered aluminum corners you will see the threaded inserts in the upper triangle section.  

Jump in... :)

Jim Saylor
Kauai, Hawaii
'65 230SL

Mike

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 16:50:43 »
Jim, how did you fasten the retaractable part under the parcel shelves?  Looks to me like you could bolt these to the frame but I am not clear how you would be able to reach inside the frame to put on the retaining nut.  I have researched all of the pictures on our archives and have seen many with the retractable part fastened beneath the parcel shelves but it is unclear to me how they are fastened.

Mike

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 17:23:58 »
Mike,

I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the cross member under the parcel shelf.  A welder comes in handy.  I welded a large nut to the cross member over the hole.  I was then able to put a bolt through the retractable seatbelt reel into the nut and tighten it.  The excess threads went behind the nut into a hollow space in the cross member.  Here are some pics to give you some idea of how I did it.

Download Attachment: seatbelt8a.jpg
71.23 KB

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

jeffc280sl

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 17:26:28 »
Here is another pic.

Download Attachment: Seat belt1a.jpg
19.98 KB

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed