Author Topic: refurbishing VIN plate  (Read 7055 times)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
refurbishing VIN plate
« on: October 06, 2003, 13:20:37 »
My VIN plate on the firewall is pretty deteriorated, as is the other plate on the left side by the relays. All of the original paint on these plates is gone.
If I were to strip and paint them, what colors should be used for the numbers and for the background? Any advice on this? (I'm sure there would be fewer unkind comments from the neighbors were my wife to do the striping and painting!)
Thanks,
Joe

Bob G ✝︎

Re: refurbishing VIN plate
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 18:57:33 »
are you talking about the vin plate ther sits in the inner left front fender well? the plate is painted body color and held in with two philips screws.

Bob Geco

Joe

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 21:23:41 »
Well, mine doesn't fit in the fender well. Maybe they do in later models. This one is attached to the firewall. It has the VIN on it. Surely someone has refurbished theirs and can offer advice.
Joe

kns

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 00:42:16 »
Joe, I don't know if this is helping or hindering.

I have a stamped VIN plate which, like Bob's, sits in the left fender behind the wheel arch. It is fixed to the bracket on which sit three relays. It is fixed with two small Philips head screws and the plate is body colour (like the bracket on which it is mounted). The impressions on the plate are proud of the base by 1-2mm.

I then have the VIN plate which sits on the firewall (left hand side looking in to the engine bay). It is fixed to the firewall with two slightly larger Philips head screws, and requires a cutout in the sound dampening material to be visible. It is on the matt side of satin black on the surface, with blocks left in bare metal for 'discrete' numbers. The numbers are then etched into the VIN. Words are printed in a matt silver colour very close to bare metal colour: numbers (model code, model designation, vehicle weight etc.) are etched as black on the bare metal background of the blocks following the text. The last eight digits of the VIN (designating left or right hand drive, and vehicle production number) are stamped proud, as on the other plate.

Given the small size of the text and the particular font used, I think it would be a seriously difficult task to replicate the data on the VIN. Photo-etching maybe? Create a decal perhaps? I'd be fascinated to know what you decide, and how you get on.

Clear as mud? Sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for,

Cheers,

kns.
1965 230SL, Manual
[1965 220SEb Coupe, Man.]

Albert-230SL

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 08:17:08 »
I ordered a duplicate of my VIN plate (on the firewall) in the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center (it cost me around 60 euros). They asked a copy of the registration documents, etc.
Download Attachment: VIN plate.jpg
17.43 KB

The other plate close to the relays is not a VIN plate, it's basically a paint plate (with some additional info from the data card), and this plate should be painted in body color.
Download Attachment: Paint plate2.jpg
17.24 KB

Regards,

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

Joe

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 09:30:17 »
Thanks, guys. That is what I wanted to know. I'll order a new VIN plate from the classic center and clean up the other plate. I think if I bead blast it and spray it with a white paint, it should look ok for now. When I get the engine compartment detailed, it will be painted the correct color.
Especially appreciate the pictures, Albert.
Joe