Author Topic: Mapping the Pagoda Genome.  (Read 3324 times)

tobacco

• Regular
  • USA, IL, Oak Park
Mapping the Pagoda Genome.
« on: May 02, 2009, 00:43:16 »

The thread "Taking Stock of the Pagoda SL Group" reminds me that there are still two missing investigations about the W113 itself:  What exactly was Daimler-Benz building, and how many of them have survived?

On the first point (especially with data cards available), do we know how many of the 48,912 Pagodas were automatics/4-speeds/5-speeds, how many were built in each color, how many were MB-Tex/leather, whitewall/blackwall, power/unassisted steering and brakes, where they were delivered, etc.?  Filling in the blanks sounds like a Germanic task on several levels, but the information could be valuable in understanding both the make-up of the Pagoda and its evolution.  And this website is the ideal place to organize and present the information.

Second, I wonder if it's time to find out just how many Pagodas are still out there.  With deputized enthusiasts and an easy way to report the basics (VIN, color, condition and location on the many 'undocumented' 113s we see regularly), it could soon be possible to estimate a total of extant Pagodas.  It seems the information would add a perspective value to every SL that's out there:  existing or found, restored or original, running or a basket case.  And, once again, this website could facilitate the effort.

Comments?

Bill Greffin
Chicago
Bill Greffin
Chicago

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
Re: Mapping the Pagoda Genome.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:39:09 »
Good luck with that.  I have a white one.   ;D

Wasn't there a thread recently approximating how many may be left?  It was just an overall estimate, not categorized like you are suggesting. 

Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Mapping the Pagoda Genome.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 07:02:40 »
We are trying that: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Registry/Start. I hope everyone who has a Pagoda keeps these details up to date for us! Ultimately it will answer (some of) these questions but I don't expect it will ever be complete.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!