Author Topic: Belt maintenance  (Read 4315 times)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Belt maintenance
« on: June 15, 2009, 23:06:21 »
One job I do not look forward to is one day having to replace my belts (V-belts, fan belts, whatever they're called). I've been looking to see how I can extend their life, slow down the process of cracking and deteriorating. Here are a few things that I've learned. Please comment, disagree, or offer some other tips.
1. Any grit, sand, etc. on the pulleys will accelerate wear--thus it helps to keep the pulleys clean and free of grease that would cause grit to stick to them.
2. Maintain proper tension--too little tension causes belts to slip leading to "varnishing" of the belt.
    Too much tension is also bad for bearings. To obtain a good tension, I've been using the "just enough to stop the belt from slipping" method. This involves either tensioning just to where the squealing stops, or in the case of the alternator belt, just to where the red "not charging" dash light is not coming on, especially when idling.
I like this method because it seems logical, but it wasn't perfect. I was still getting some alternator belt slip when starting a cold engine until it warmed up a bit. I was also getting a squeal when turning on the A/C, but this would also go away after 20-30 seconds. ButI think that I've finally cured this (see below).
3. Do not use "belt dressing" or "belt conditioner"--I could find nobody who likes this stuff, except for maybe as a temp fix for a slipping belt that either needs tightening or replacing. Also, nobody seems to believe that this stuff extends belt life, and may in fact cause deterioration.
4. White lithium grease--this was told to me by an old school mechanic. It has to be the stuff in a can, not a spray. At first I was skeptical and thought it may cause more slipping. But it eliminated all squeals and the red "not charging" light when cold. You can brush it on the pulleys with a small brush and rub it into the belts with your fingers. Do not use too much. Just enough to smooth, moisten, and "soften" the belts a bit. The only downside may be that the pulleys might be more prone to hold sand or grit. I will have to check and clean them, probably every 3000 miles, and then repeat the lithium application.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

dseretakis

Re: Belt maintenance
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 23:09:17 »
Regarding your white lithium grease trick, I was under the impression that petroleum based products cause deterioration of anything rubber but then again we do use rubber for fuel lines.

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:29:47 »
dseretakis, you've got me thinking. Going to have to do some research (beyond "I've used it for years with no problem").
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 19:57:10 »
OK, now I know more than I needed to know.
"Petroleum distillates usually contain three general classes of compounds, aromatic, naphthenic and paraffinic hydrocarbons.
Aromatics are great solvents and a base for many types of useful compounds. They are a perfect ingredient for making such things as carburetor cleaner or a paint remover where strong solvency is needed.
Naphthenics (AKA cycloparaffins) are used to make light oils, solvents and even as a base for things like detergents and paint dryers.
Paraffinic compounds have much less solvency and many are purified further. They are used in a myriad of consumer products, such as ingredients in many lotions and skin creams. Crystal clear white oils are used as a laxative, to coat pans in bakeries and as a base for medicines. Paraffinic compounds are perfect for use as a component in automotive waxes and polishes and those products used to treat painted surfaces, vinyl and plastic.
Products that are used on plastic, vinyl and rubber surfaces should be formulated from very special grades of petroleum distillate that contain little if any aromatic and naphthenic molecules. While this type of highly refined paraffinic distillate costs a good deal more, it helps insure that the product does not attack the surface or remove important components from the vinyl or rubber when used as directed -- yet, it does help to clean and lubricate the surface. Such products can be formulated to leave behind a rich and protective film of wax or silicone (or both) to help lengthen the surface’s useful life and prevent cracking and shrinkage. The use of petroleum distillate also allows premium UV Blockers to be included in the formulation as the most effective ones are not soluble in water. This can provide excellent protection against the surface deterioration, chalking and fading caused by sunlight."
(from "Facts and Myths about Petroleum Distillates" http://www.protectall.com/artmyths.htm)
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 07:13:39 »
I haven't replaced my belts before. Is it that difficult?