Author Topic: Differential vent filter replacement  (Read 5822 times)

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Differential vent filter replacement
« on: June 28, 2009, 19:26:01 »
My differential vent filter was clogged beyond repair (I've cleaned it out a few times now). And it appears that this vent is available only as an entire assembly. (waste of money and metal). The vent pipe can be removed and the cap cracked open to reveal the filter.

So I went to my local hardware store and picked up a pack of Eureka vacuum cleaner filters (see pic). These come with 4 sheets of air filters that have a very similar construction and thickness to the diff vent filter. I cut up a little round piece to match the vent pipe opening seat (see pic).

Only $4 can make a couple hundred little filters! (anyone need a few? I can bring the spare sheet to PUB)
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Differential vent filter replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 23:15:41 »
Yes Please,

naj
68 280SL

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 09:08:49 »
Waqas,

Yes, please; 'me too, me too'!               aannnnd ----

Perhaps this is a hijacking -- hopefully very small:  I'm in the early stages of an axle swap in pursuit of a lower ratio than my current 4.08.  A while back there were some postings concerning the infrequent but disconcerting foaming problem that the larger-case differentials sometimes exhibited when installed in the 113s; it seemed that some few did it persistently, the great majority just did not, and that no one could figure out why or effect a cure for those that did.  Most unsatisfactory state of affairs .....or did I miss the resolution?     

Thanks,

Denny
1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 11:23:41 »
Hi Waqas,

Could I get one too, please? Assuming Naj isn't overloaded with goodies purchased in the States, I will ask him if he can bring one back for me, as we're both working on the axle swap.

(Hope that's OK Naj!!)

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

DavidBrough

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:57:54 »
Hi Denny,

As far as I'm aware there is no resolution, you seem to be either lucky or not. If you're not then the breather pipe has to be fitted which involves a sight modification to the chassis. I had to have mine done as the axle was covering the whole back of the car in a horrible oily mist and then dripping all over the garage floor, anyway, its now done about 4,000 miles with the breather pipe and its as clean as a whistle.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 21:10:42 »
I'll bring enough for everyone  :)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 23:01:53 »
Hey Waqas, if Dick M is willing, can you slip him one to bring back to N. California? Thanks.
James
63 230SL

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:10:15 »
Sure, no problem!  :)

Mark Sean

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 00:43:29 »
i recently look to see if i could locate the differential filter - vent tube - i did not find. Would i have one on a 1971 280 SL us version?

Appreciate the help

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 04:29:10 »
Should be there on top of the left axle tube, right next to the differential. It looks like a tiny little cylindrical chimney sticking out vertically above the axle. The diameter is about 15mm and the height is about 35mm.