Author Topic: Battery sizzle - replacement suggestion??  (Read 6323 times)

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
Battery sizzle - replacement suggestion??
« on: July 03, 2009, 22:08:51 »
Hi,

Working in the engine bay today, and heard this odd, soft sizzling sound.  Turns out it is coming from the battery....  I assume that this is the death song of the battery. 

I searched for any replacement battery suggestions, but could find nothing.   Is there any specific battery (w model number) that people have had success with??  This guy is a DieHard, and has been in the car for quite a few years.  I also have had luck with Interstate, but do not know if they make one for the 113.

Regards -- Roger
'66 230SL
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
Re: Battery sizzle - replacement suggestion??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 16:07:45 »
Roger,

I recently got an Interstate -- I think the model is MTP-24F (I'm away from the car right now) -- and am quite happy with it.  IMO, it is much better than the Mercedes battery I had before.  The car cranks faster, starts better, and even the clock seems a bit more accurate.  The Interstate cost less than half the price of a new Mercedes battery, even with a 26% discount.

BTW, the Mercedes battery in my 230SL lasted about 6 1/2 years, which I guess is reasonable.  The original Mercedes battery in my ML320 lasted just over 7 years.  But the Diehard in my BMW 3.0CS is over nine years old, and is still working fine.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 02:17:11 by gugel »

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 17:07:21 »
Try the search function, with "Battery" and search in titles only.

Here is one with a list of the sizing and such.
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=8627.0

Mercedes batteries are available if you are going to show your car, otherwise, the Die Hard, Interstate or Optima Gel appear to be the consensus of the group.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

graphic66

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 18:23:00 »
I found that the Energizer battery part# e36R with 810 cranking amps and 650 CCA fits perfect. You just need to grind the lip on the bottom of the battery that is for a hold down bracket off. Whats up with the cheap flimsy metal used on the battery tray. I ordered the Mercedes OEM replacement and it was thin junk. I used my mig welder and made reinforcements for where the hooks go that hold the battery in. I also reinforced the tray where it mounts. It really just bent up when any force was applied to the battery holddown. It now is rock steady and you can't see any modification from the top.

graphic66

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 18:24:47 »
You also may be overcharging if the battery is sizzling. Check your output voltage while running at the battery. Over 15 volts could spell trouble. About 14.5 volts is normal.

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 22:40:19 »
Thanks for the input - I'll look into the Die Hard and Interstate.  I will also check on the charging system when I get the new battery - can't find the receipt, but the Die Hard may be over 10 years old......

Regards -- Roger

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 02:18:20 »
Roger. My previous battery was a Diehard Gold "North". It had the poles on the correct sides (24F) and was powerful enough (700). Lasted 8 years. I wanted the same thing but the Sears guy told me they are NLA or at least very hard to find. In an attempt to match the CCAs, he sold me what he considered a comparable Diehard. It is the Diehard S39990. I initially was put off that it says (brace yourself...) SUV, Van & Truck but I went for it anyway. (When I need a battery for my Pagoda I want it NOW...) I covered the writing with a piece of tape and it has been great...

The pros: its a Diehard, it cranks great (725), it fits in the tray, and even with its handy lifting handle, the battery hold down fits over it fine.

The cons: its not real cheap (110?), and its not a 24F. You have to set it in "backwards" so the negative is closer to the engine. My cables reach the poles -- not sure if yours will. I know my negative one is a bit longer than original...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 02:27:41 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 04:25:35 »
Well, the local Sears guy says he has a Gold 24F in stock - I will see tomorrow....

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 04:35:28 »
Well that sounds promising. Good luck. My swap was a few years back -- but recently I searched again online and got the "out of stock" everywhere I looked. Confirm the North and the 24F and you'll be happy!
James
63 230SL