Author Topic: Lower Control Arm--Cap Nut Cracked !?  (Read 3145 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Lower Control Arm--Cap Nut Cracked !?
« on: July 15, 2009, 17:38:18 »
OK--so my car is in to replace a grease seal on the lower, inner control arm--it was torn.

The mechanic unbolts the lower control arm, noting that the nuts that screw onto the hinge pin (for lack of a better term) are a little loose.

He removes the offending seal, places the new one in, and when cleaning the parts prior to reinstall, notices that the FRONT nut (this is on the driver's side of the car, LHD) looks cracked--a fine line running across the top.  It is a "cap nut".  He puts it all back together, and loads the zerk up with grease.

Lo and behold, grease is coming out the crack on the nut!

Anybody seen or heard of such a thing?  I ordered a new nut, but the mechanic was concerned that maybe someone once tried to tighten it too tight, and the end of the pin cracked the nut.  The exploded view of the suspension from the parts manual does not show any spacers or washers.

Any wisdom on this from those who might have had these parts apart more than once??
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Lower Control Arm--Cap Nut Cracked !?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 22:05:26 »
Hello Micheal,

Never seen this happen before!  Most lilkey just a bit too tight or a defect in the cap itself.

See you soon,

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

bpossel

Re: Lower Control Arm--Cap Nut Cracked !?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:17:01 »
Hi Mike,

No spacers, washers are needed.  The end caps just screw in, but should be screwed in evenly on both sides with the spring removed (no load, tension).  I recently had one work its way partly out.  Luckily I caught this while I was greasing the car and checking it over for the long trip to Blacklick...
See ya next week  ;D !
Bob