Author Topic: Seal around the neck of the gas tank  (Read 3443 times)

shane

Seal around the neck of the gas tank
« on: September 26, 2009, 18:11:26 »
Well,10 months later,I finally got my car back from the panel shop.I am extremely satisfied with the spray job,but bitterly dissapointed with the way they have reassembled the car.One thing I need help with,is the seal around the neck of the gas tank.They have misplaced it.Can someone post a picture of this seal,it will be a great help.Thanks
Shane

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Witt

Re: Seal around the neck of the gas tank
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:46:29 »
......very recently I completed my resoration and replaced said seal. It came fro the "Benz-Doctor" in Toronto,( a member of this site)  not that expensive if I remember correctly.

I installed it by using WD40 to make it a bit slippery and installed it in a "screw-on" fashion: remove the gas cap, slip the gasget over the neck and twist it in a clockwise rotation, making sure the groove in the rubber will engage with the body sheet metal. Stop rotating when it is in the desired position! "Groovy"........worked for me.

CHEERS !
WITT !  ;)

shane

Re: Seal around the neck of the gas tank
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 19:08:06 »
Thanks Guys,after producing a photo of the seal intact and fitted,the panel shop admitted fault,and agreed to replace,thanks for the ebay pick Garry,at least I can check if they have supplied the right part.Witt,will b sure to give them the fitting instruction.Cheers Shane