Author Topic: rear bow of softtop will not stay in position  (Read 3645 times)

eltee

rear bow of softtop will not stay in position
« on: November 13, 2009, 14:00:38 »
I have been lurking on the forum for a while, Thanks for all the usefull info!
 When putting up the top of my 1970 280sl the rear bow will not stay in the correct position.  I have removed the top from the car and replaced both arms for the rear bow and the rollers that engage the arms.  I was excited to see that the cam profile of the new arms was different and that the rollers were larger but it is still doing the exact same thing. I am assuming that something is bent in the linkage but have no idea.   Has anyone else had this happen and what is the fix.   

jeffc280sl

Re: rear bow of softtop will not stay in position
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 02:08:25 »
Can you take a pictrue of what's going on?  As the rear bow is brought up and pressed against the next section the cams are supposed to drop the bow down so that it can fit in the storage area.  In order for it to work the sections need to stay sandwiched together when lowered along with the rest of the top.  If not the bow will stay in the extended position so that it can attach to the rear mounting pin hole.  In this extended position it will not fit in the storage area.  Often you need to lift the top out of the storage area maintaining the sandwich of the rear section.  If not the rear bow will not come out.

jay.bowers

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 22:58:52 »
I have the same problem with my 280sl.  The rear bow actually barly made it into the storage area and would not come out.  I ended up removing the entire assembly to get the rear bow out but have not seemed to correct the problem with the cam.  Do you have any suggestions?

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 20:54:43 »
This has been somewhat of an issue with the car, check the search function, for top issues
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor