Author Topic: My 230sl  (Read 3882 times)

skamieniecki

My 230sl
« on: July 09, 2007, 10:01:42 »
Hello all, I am working up a history to use as a handout at car meets to give basic information about my car if I should decide to sell it. I have the following info and was looking for a little feed back on what else I could or should add, or what info I could or should delete...I have also included some minor sales info because you never know when the right offer comes your way!

1966 Mercedes Benz 230sl

Car 15120 Type W113 chassis identification number: 11304210015120. The car is white and equipped with a blue hard top with matching wheel covers, chrome accessory mounting strips on the top, blue canvas soft top, blue leather interior, and chrome beauty rings. The car also has installed a Becker Europa AM/FM/SW/LW radio, four-speed transmission, tool kit, wheel chock and jack, spare tire cover, owner manuals and other documentation including data card, the spare bulb and fuse box, and optional ski rack.

February 7, 1966, the car is purchased by the original owner (name withheld for now) in Nuremburg, Germany (purchase price $6,564 US dollars). The new owner drives and enjoys the car until May 19, 1977 when it is sold to its second owner - (name withheld for now).

While in the possession of the second owner the car has minor work done over a two year period prior to shipment to the United States. Receipts detail minor engine work including a change out of the engine motor mount structures to the 280sl mounts, along with various other maintenance procedures topped off with some minor bodywork and a new white lacquer paint job (still on the car today).

In July 1979 the car is shipped to the United States via the port of Houston. Prior to shipment Mercedes Benz replaces the original (kph) speedometer (43,732 kilometers, 27,113.8 miles) with a mph spec speedometer (0 miles), the European front headlight assemblies are also removed and replaced with USA standard headlight assemblies. The owner’s care for and enjoy the car until 1984 when the car is sold to its third owners – (name withheld for now).

On May 19, 2000 the car is purchased with a total mileage, including the previous mileage prior to speedometer replacement, of 66,843 miles. During this ownership the car receives a new fuel pump, camshaft and camshaft drive gear, and new brake lines and rear wheel brake cylinders along with a new German canvas convertible top. The seats are both completely rebuilt with new correct blue German leather, and of course the standard maintenance required for the car is completed, six years later the car is sold to its current owner, me.

On July 28, 2006, the car now has a total of 88,547 miles - 61,433 on the odometer (don’t forget to add in the original kilometers). While I have owned the car I have had the radiator rebuilt and replaced the water pump. I have also replaced the front brake rotors and given the car all required normal maintenance. The car remains complete today as the day it was delivered to the original owner with all items originally sold with the car including the hardtop, tool kit, and all owner manuals (in German), but alas  the ski rack is no more, but the in-trunk decal remains.

The car has clean lines, turns heads, and is fun to drive. It is definitely not the fastest or most agile car that I have ever driven. I would describe it best as an original survivor meaning that it is an original car cared for and repaired when needed, with no attempt at full or partial restoration.

When viewed in person it stands out as a nice example of a 1966 230sl. It has never had its hardtop or hubcaps re-painted, and as previously stated, the body was last painted in 1979 in Germany. The car exhibits some paint flaws such as small chips, and after 28+ years the white lacquer paint has a nice aged look to it without looking tired, it is very presentable and very pretty. This car is meant to be driven and enjoyed and I drive it daily, it is not hidden it away for the occasional Sunday drive.

The car’s fifth owner, possibly you, may decide otherwise, but once you get in with the top down on a sunny day, one day a week won’t be enough. Questions, call me at (withheld for now).

All receipts are available for work that is detailed in this write-up you just will need a translator if you cannot read German!

Download Attachment: 230slsmall3.JPG
5.34 KB

Download Attachment: 230slsmall4.JPG
4.66 KB

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: My 230sl
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 10:48:56 »
Hey Steve. A couple impressions. Please take them as good old fashion input -- nothing personal. I'd probably adore your Pagoda -- it resembles my own love-object a lot.

But here goes. I see a few possible items that could confuse people. In your second paragraph, you mention the car "has installed" the optional ski rack. Then later we discover it is "no more." I figured out you that mean it originally came with a ski rack -- but it is long gone...

Another thing you mention is the seats are rebuilt in new correct German leather but then you say no attempts have been "full or partial restoration." That counts in my book.

Finally, you could probably leave out the "not the fastest or most agile car" you have have ever driven. Not relevant (and a little painful to hear)...The guy looking at it may have just traded in his Hyundai -- and for all we know, your "other car" might be a Porsche 911 or something.

Otherwise -- nice history. Knowing the ownership is important to a lot of people (along with service records). I'd say much larger and more detailed pictures would be wonderful.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 20:26:30 »
Steve,

Nice history!  Where did you get all the information -- from the previous owners or from Daimler-Benz?

I've tried to track the history of my car, but can get back only to the time it was exported from Germany.  The German privacy laws wouldn't let the original selling dealer, or the Classic Center in Stuttgart, release any information about owners in Germany.  Did you find some way around that?

Chris Earnest

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 07:14:08 »
Nice write up.  It should really help you sell the car.  I wish all sellers were like you!

I would change:
"chrome accessory mounting strips on the top"
to:
"optional chrome accessory mounting strips on the hard top"

Also, a paint job and new seats could be classified as "partial restoration" by some people, but like you, others might consider it "repair as needed".  Everyone will have their own defenition of "restoration".

I got confused on the number of owners.  First, I thought when the car got imported to the US, it got a new owner.  I guess the owner came along with the car?

Second, you should probaby move your purchase of the car to the beginning of the next paragraph.  That is, don't end one paragraph with, "six years later the car is sold to its current owner, me.", but instead start the next paragraph with you purchaing the car.  I would start each paragraph the same with the date and purchaser fo the car, like:
"MM/DD/YYYY, Purchased by first owner"
"MM/DD/YYYY, Purchased by secoind owner"

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

TATO

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 13:44:13 »
HI, DO YOU WANT TO SEND ME MORE PICTURES OF YOUR CAR , ASKING PRICE, I' M VERY INTERESTED. THANK YOU, EDGAR