Author Topic: Points fried  (Read 5847 times)

230slhouston

Points fried
« on: December 26, 2009, 23:52:14 »

:(
I ordered new points, condensor etc to do a tune up. I was painstakingly installed the points and condensor without taking out the distributor. Everything was going well until the condensor pigtail that attaches to the coil touched the positive side of the battery. In a matter of seconds the points glowed and the pigtail burnt out. Expensive mistake.

Question to the experts, should I replace the condensor as a well? $24 a pop..ouch.

Well I learned my lesson, disconnect the battery terminal the next time.

Cheers and Happy Holidays,

Maistran

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
Re: Points fried
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 03:00:49 »
Well, I would highly recommend putting in a Pertronix in place of the points (unless you are a purist, enjoy working on the points, and don't mind your car not starting on a random basis).  I installed one many years ago, and have had flawless service out of it.  No, I don't work there or have any affiliation.  Not too hard to install, car will rev better than you can even imagine (no point bounce), and you will not have to go in the distributor messing around for a very long time.  I know there are numerous posts on this product and other pointless devices - do a search if you are interested or even considering one. 

It is probably the best, fundamental upgrade I ever did to the car (and it is pretty much invisible).  Of course, I prefer to drive rather than repair....

Regards -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 14:17:20 »

"numerous posts on this product and other pointless devices"

I don't consider this topic pointless at all.   ;D

I'd guess the condenser didn't fair well.  However, you can just replace the points and see if it works.  If it's toast, it won't hurt the points, it just won't work.  The 40+ year old technology can be made to work just as intended.  Dan Caron can make them sing and dance. 

However, the Pertronix option does bring the car's technology up into the 1970's.  I have the Crane ignition and am quite happy not to fiddle with the points.  (There are so many other fiddly bits to play with)  I am intrigued by the 123 distributor which would drag the car into the 1990's.  I may do that this spring.  But, all of those options out price a $24 condenser.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 20:32:43 »
(unless you are a purist, enjoy working on the points, and don't mind your car not starting on a random basis).

I'm sure you get some utility out of the Pertronix set up, but the original set up works fine for me and I don't expect it to leave me stranded if I perform the correct maintenance. As much as I drive the car, it will be a long time between service for the points. Obviously, everyone should do what they want with their own car, but is the statement "don't mind your car not starting on a random basis" based on any kind of fact or experience? ???

IMHO: Replace the points and see how it runs. If you need the condensor, replace that too. Then enjoy. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 20:34:57 by Iconic »
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 20:52:41 »
I am actually speaking from experience.  Prior to the Pertronix, I ran the Mercedes for several years with points, and had to change them several times.   Never as part of a standard maintenance, since they never lasted that long, and generally because the car was running badly or not at all.  Mine always ended up spiking, no matter whether with a new condenser or not.  Perhaps some other problems with the electrical system, and maybe others have been more lucky with them.  I do agree that when first installed and properly adjusted they work just fine (well, aside from the point bounce at revs).   My guess is that the standard troubleshoot approach when there is an ignition problem is to crack the distributor and check the points - there is a reason for that......

Of course, I had British cars for decades with points, and became quite proficient at changing and adjusting points.  Doesn't mean I enjoy it, particularly when it is in an inconvenient location and time.  Good to carry a small file with you, since if the points spike you can sometimes get started by filing down the spike.

It's all a personal preference.

Regards -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)

230slhouston

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 20:58:59 »
Thanks everyone. I am going to replace the points and at the next service look at the Petronix as an option.

Maistran :)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 06:06:56 »
You must have the condensor with the long green wire. Is your car a late 280SL? A small condensor is normally a lot less than 24 dollars.

One reason why points burn out is because oil gets on them. Points will also pit faster if the distributor bearings are worn. The main shaft will tend to move away from the points because the spring pushes quite hard against the cam lobes. At higher speeds the shaft will also tend to virate which will make the points flutter. This is different than point bounce which is the max limit the points will work.
I've tested this enough to know that with new points some units will rev up to 7,000 RPM while others barely manage 5,500. Used points tend to loose some of the spring tension that new ones have but all things being equal it comes down to how tight the complete unit is. If they're perfect the points will last a very long time.

I would also do a battery volatage test. Most voltage regulators run about 13.5 volts. Higher voltage can cause a lot of problems such as light bulbs burning out, fried battery and possibly burned points. 
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 16:42:25 »
Thanks everyone. I am going to replace the points and at the next service look at the Petronix as an option.

If you lhave Petronix and leave the key in the ON position without starting and forget about it for a couple of hours, your Pertronix will be fried too.  More expensive than points.  (I don't know how long you have until it frys, all I know is that mine friend in my 250 C and it was because the key was left on...)
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

graphic66

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 19:07:38 »
From my experience your condenser is bad. I touched my screwdriver from the + side of the battery to my points and condenser and it fried the condenser instantly. I don't know what having the points "spike" means, but the stock system in these cars will run flawlessly if maintained as recommend.
   I put in the Velleman electronic ignition in my 66' 230SL, just for fun and it turned out to run really great. This system doesn't eliminate the points, it uses them as a low amperage switch to trigger the electronic system. Your points then last way longer than stock and in a couple of minutes you can go back to stock if you have any problems with the electronics. It eliminates the condenser, so for the relevance to this post, you can get this kit for about the same money as the condenser.  The Velleman kit is about $25.00 and requires some assembly like soldering a circuit board, that was one reason I bought it, it looked like fun to build and it was. I put it under the shock tower cover and it has worked very good. My points were in need of replacing when I put it in and I was going to put in new points but the car ran so nice I just left the old points in.
   But to answer your question, yes you will probably need a new condenser if you shorted it out that bad. I have not heard of anyone else installing the Velleman electronic ignition here, but I can highly recommend it from my experience and I really don't like changing things from there stock configuration, but this change can be reverted back very easily. Here is the link http://www.arcade-electronics.com/detail.aspx?ID=17654 .