Author Topic: Radiator boil  (Read 3393 times)

n/a

Radiator boil
« on: April 08, 2004, 13:12:58 »
Heard an interesting technique today and wanted to bounce it off the group.

Our radiators are prone to scaling which reduces heat exchange properties (also the heater core).

To do a self serve boil out, mix 1/2 to 1 gallon of muriatic acid (pool supply) with water and run engine to operating temp. Let sit for 5 minutes. Drain system. Mix one box baking soda with water and fill system. Run engine. Drain and flush with water. Refill with antifreeze.

What do you think? Anything to loose giving this a try? Should cook the calcium cloride deposits out and restore the radiator.

Sounds like one of those old timer shade tree mechanic solutions.

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

bayleif

Re: Radiator boil
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 13:25:42 »
Shawn,
I have used a variation of that technique on a raw water cooled boat engine. I did remove a lot of gunk. Didn't exactly cure my problem, but it didn't hurt anything either.

Chuck Bartlett
1969 Signal Red 4 Speed

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 14:52:39 »
Mercedes sells a radiator boil.  That might be a less risky alternative.  Muratic acid is strong-will remove chrome plating.

Best,

Tom

Tom
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown
1994 E320 Cabriolet, Smoke Silver
1999 E320 Wagon 4 matic, Brilliant Silver

n/a

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 11:54:40 »
Found the MB citric acid radiator flush. Also learned that one drains system, fills with water and flush, runs to temp for 15-20 minutes, drains. Fills with clean water, runs to temp, drains and repeat water flush 3 times. Make sure heater is on so flushes heater core too.

Does this procedure jive with the experts out there? I'm going to give this a try along with a newer fan clutch to see if I can get my running temp down. I have a new radiator to install if all else fails, but would rather keep the original radiator and resell this aftermarket one. I don't relish the process of replacing a radiator.

I'll report back on the results.

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed