Author Topic: What did your SL get for Xmas  (Read 5037 times)

treedoc

What did your SL get for Xmas
« on: January 04, 2010, 09:14:19 »
Starting on the 26 th of Dec with a hot water blaster and a lot of de-greaser I spent the day trying to remove 40 years of hard baked grease from around the front end, with 7 grease nipples on each side and regular serviceing that ampounts to a lot of accumulated black gunk.
Then it was time to set about replacing  engine and front body mounts as well as sway bar rubber bushes and front shocks, Bilsteins naturally.
Three days later the cussing had stopped along with applying plaster patches to skinned knuckes as the last bolt had been retightened.
Was it worthwhile? sure was, old faithfull now drives like a new car, no clunks, thumps or rattles.
Note the image of the two old engine mounts, high one was from LH side had only callapsed about 6 mm other one was RH side under the exhaust manifolds and subject to a lot of heat over the years, it felt almost rock solid.
Early in the new year will be replacing the rear shocks and most of the rubber parts in the back end.
Happy and safe motoring to all in 2010
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 22:02:04 by treedoc »

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
Re: What did your SL get for Xmas
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:16:06 »
That's a big job, nice that you have an open area around your lift, not so claustrophobic when the grit and grime is raining down on you.  End result looks very nice.  What's your car's color code? 
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

treedoc

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:51:48 »
Bob,
Body & hardtop colour is 396 G, if you haven't committed your project to a colour yet you might like to consider it. In low light levels it's a dark grey / blue in sunlight it's almost a sky blue metalic.
In a little over a month I hit the big three score plus ten, so when I had the shed extension built it had to be high enough to to take a car on a hoist in the raised position, too old to be crawling around under cars, best money I ever spent. My other pride and joy is a 94 SL500 and there is no room under them.
Hoist has been working overtime since Boxing Day, the R129 had that god awfull electro / hydraulic suspension which I have since completely removed and replaced with standard springs, Bilstein struts & shocks
Looking forward to your project updates.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:00:54 by treedoc »

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 16:01:32 »
Our Pagoda got a nice new ashtray for Christmas.  It is not new, but it is very good and the correct (congac) color.  Yeah!!!  It is also about to get (shhh, it doesn't know yet) NEW sun visor clips of the correct style !!!     My 114 250 C got an early-style gear selector and knob (like the gear selector in a pagoda) that was installed last weekend.  Yeah!!!   It also got a replacement seatbelt that retracts so my passenger can stop complaining. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:38:57 »
I got a nice new Pagoda "T" shirt for my collection.  Dave Latham at Bud's Benz is producing and selling them. He also has them for the W107 SLs and the  190 SLs.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

gimp

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 20:51:48 »
My Pagoda got 4 new heater leavers that will be installed in warmer wether.

johnshenry

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 17:38:31 »
Well let's see.  I bought my wife a '69 280 on Nov 7th for our 20th anniversary (which is next May), officially got it registered and "gave" it to her on the 12th.  We drove it a few times over the next week or so.  Then we took the hard top off of it and realized that it is probably never going to go back on.  About that time a new set of cocomats I ordered showed up and really made the interior look nice (the old mats were about the only thing worn looking).

Then winter hit.

So the 113 is tucked away in the storage bay with my '57 VW for the winter.

For Christmas I gave my wife one SL-related gift:  A vanity plate "HER280"  (I hope I can still drive it some).

Yesterday I book a weekend at an 1800's B&B inn in Stowe VT for the weekend before our anniversary in May.  Of course we will drive the 280 up (unless the weather is very wet) with some golf clubs in the back.

We are really anticipating spring in New England!!

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 03:14:41 »
"She who must be obeyed" surprised me with a VERY Pagoda personalized picnic basket, #4 0f 10!  The porcelain, cutlery, and linens are from the old executive dining room at D-B (the table cloth has "Daimler-Benz A.G." woven into the center medallion).  It will set off the boot wonderfully at shows.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:20:20 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

treedoc

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 07:41:40 »
Mike,

Lucy clearly not only has good taste in men but also picnic ware, you will now need to put down some good French Reds as well as a few bottles of Moselle