Author Topic: wanted: good mechanic in TX hill country  (Read 3521 times)

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
wanted: good mechanic in TX hill country
« on: August 23, 2009, 21:11:23 »

I hope this is the correct place to post this.  A friend in central TX (Austin or San Marcos) has a non running 230SL.  She knows nothing about the car, it is from a now dead relative, and her daughter would like to have the thing to use.  They are willing to flat bed it to a mechanic who would get it running.  Anyone out there know of a person who will not take advantage of two single women?  Thanks in advance, Ron

1966 230SL, euro

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: wanted: good mechanic in TX hill country
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 22:02:27 »
Ron,
can you post more specifics on the issues with the car & the location

There are several members in the Austin Area that (by now) know their way around these cars.

Depending on the location I may be willing to stop by and check it out....

There are several shops in Austin that work on the old SL's though I do not know the names

Even the Austin MB dealership has a mechanic that still works on the older cars.
I forgot the mechanics name, but a quick call to the service manager and I am sure
the know the guy.
The last time I was in there he had an sl all apart rebuilding the motor
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
Re: wanted: good mechanic in TX hill country
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 21:27:26 »

OK, I'll bump this to see what I get.  I did find out more about the car.  It is stored outside under a tarp.  It was running about 5 years ago, but the husband died, and the wife wants to give it (running again) to the daughter.  At the least, the entire fuel system will have to be cleaned, and probably the brakes, then the car gone through with fluid changes.  They are not interested in selling, they just want it running again.  So the best thing would be a shop in or near Austin where one of you has had a good relationship.  You could PM me at zeppo2k2@yahoo.com if you want, or respond here.  Thanks in advance.  Ron

1966 230SL, euro