Author Topic: Screws, screws, screws ... yet again ...  (Read 4458 times)

justken2u

Screws, screws, screws ... yet again ...
« on: April 26, 2010, 02:52:26 »
Help!!!

Hey guys ... some time ago I posted a request for help in getting a bunch of interior screws for a 230SL I am restoring and someone posted that I should get in touch with Dave Gallon, which I did. Dave is a GREAT guy. Extremely knowledgeable. And in one email and one conversation he convinced me that he would be able to provide the screws that I need in the sizes that I need. Awesome. That's the GOOD news ...

The BAD news is that it seems that Dave is an extremely busy guy, and it has been over a month since our conversation. Despite his best intentions, I'm not certain that I will be able to get the screws from Dave in the time frame I need them. I contacted Tom Hanson at the classic car center and explained my problem and he doesn't think he will be able to help in a timely fashion either.

Looking for a Plan B in the event Dave can't ultimately help out. Other than Dave Gallon and Tom Hanson, who can I contact to get a fast turnaround on finding out what screws I need from showing some pictures and having a conversation like I did with Dave, with the ultimate goal of purchasing these screws without delay.

I wish to reiterate that Dave Gallon is AWESOME ... and to quote someone else on this board, we are VERY lucky to have him as a resource on here. My problem is that I am running out of time and given that this is such a small potatoes thing for Dave I fully understand that it doesn't have his full attention as I can imagine how busy he is. THIS IS NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS A CRITICISM OF DAVE (sorry for the shouting, but I want to make sure that people understand that I'm not trying to take a shot at him .. just the opposite)

Situation critical. My interior guy (who has been waiting patiently for screws for over a month) is now threatening to kick me out of the shop by the end of the week.I understand that my lack of foresight in not trying to resolve this situation several months ago does not constitute someone else's crisis ... but I am an absolute novice at this sort of thing and I have to rely on people like my interior guy to tell me what he needs and when. So when he said "I need some screws for this, that and the other ..." that was when I went in search of said screws. Little did I know it would turn into such an ordeal.

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance.

Ken
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:59:13 by justken2u »

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Screws, screws, screws ... yet again ...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 05:17:54 »
Ken,
I would talk to your interior guy and challenge his pride. Although I do not know the details of your arrangement with him it appears that he took your job without knowing exactly what was waiting for him.  He should be glad that you were willing to step in and try to find the correct screws.  Normally that should be his responsibility but, as you found out, it is very difficult to find the correct ones - if one wants to stay original and not use close but not exact non-metric screws.  
If Tom Hanson at the CC cannot help you either then your interior guy just has to be patient. I doubt that there is anyone else who has the resource books and the knowledge to find what you want.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

ljg

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:42:25 »
I know David Gallon very well and with a bit of patience, he will provide you with everything you require.  Hard to believe that things are quite that critical.  I would call David again and explain the situation carefully.
As I have reported in earlier posts, he has provided me with all of my many requirements for my 14,000 mile SL.  At times it takes a while but it all seems to eventually come together.
Larry
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:28:50 by ljg »

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 18:10:01 »
Ken,
by chance I came across one of your previous posts (http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=11783.msg79139#msg79139) and noticed the description of the 230SL as a "Frankenbenz" because of your transformation with many non-original parts. Why are you so concerned about getting original metric DIN screws? How about just ordering them here: http://www.totallystainless.com/totally.html
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

justken2u

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 14:16:52 »
Hey 66andBlue ... that's a GREAT question ...

For many of the areas I don't need original screws ... anything that fits that hole and mounts the part down will do. For other areas (such as in the folding top) there are some critical screws and when it comes to putting a car like this together I really don't know what I don't know. That's why for the number of screws (probably less than 100 in all) I went to the guys who knew what this car needs and who actually have these parts. My interior guy is simply that ... an interior guy. He wants all of the holes to line up and all of the screws to lay in the holes like they should. If there was some resource material that described the sizes, lengths and head styles for all of the screws that I needed, I'd do exactly what you are suggesting. Contact a company that has the closest thing possible and order them up. In some of the areas, however, my very helpful discussion with Dave Gallon got me realizing that getting as close to original with many if not all of these screws would be the way to go. And that's great ... I just can't seem to crack the DaVinci Code on these screws and those who can are extremely busy leaving be between that proverbial rock and hard place.  :(

By the way ... thanks for the great SS screw source ... if I can figure out what sizes I need, this might ultimately be the backup plan!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 14:20:56 by justken2u »

Bernd

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 03:59:45 »
You can contact Andreas Schiek at: www.chromschrauben24.de    He has just about all of the screws you may need, which are chromeplated DIN standard.
 I just had an email exchange with Alfred Esser about the very topic.

Otherwise, sounds to me like Dave is still the man here that has the knowledge and the parts :)

justken2u

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 02:08:33 »
Thank you Bernd ... I'll reach out to him tomorrow!