Author Topic: Front Spring Removal  (Read 5052 times)

DavidBrough

Front Spring Removal
« on: January 01, 2010, 18:34:11 »
Well, I’ve finally decided that 2010 is the year I’m going to fully rust treat my car which involves a complete strip down in order to allow the body to be dipped and chemically processed. In planning the order of part removal I’m currently pondering the front suspension which is about the only bit of the car I’ve never touched. I had initially intended to remove the front sub frame in one piece prior to overhaul but now I’ve read the manual and looked at a few posts on the subject it seems I may need to remove the front springs before the engine and gearbox as this job is usually undertaken with a jack and no spring compressors which requires the weight of the car to counter the tension.

I would welcome any advice and thoughts as to which would be the best route to take during a full strip down and whether I need to remove the front springs first and presumably chock the wishbones with wood to then allow the removal of the engine and gearbox or whether it’s better to remove the front sub frame complete and then remove the springs with compressors.

DavidBrough

Re: Front Spring Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 20:04:38 »
In the end I managed to remove the springs with the sub frame out of the car using two 350mm lenghts of threaded rod instead of a jack as there still isn't enough room for a spring compressor. I'm not sure how well this may work to replace the springs but I'll report back when I get to that part.

Eminent

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 22:38:33 »
I use a springcompressor as shown in this thread.
It worked well for me. But i did the overhaul under the car.
Good luck with your project.

BTW. Looking at your pics. I think there must be worked before at the kingpin/lower control arm.
The head of the bolt should be at the rear of the control arm refering to the haynes manual.
A bit strange description, i think. In other words, the large nut should be seen in your first picture.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 22:51:25 by Eminent »

DavidBrough

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:34:02 »
Thanks for the heads up Eminent I will check my manual prior to re assembly.

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 13:04:05 »
Hi David,

Here is a pic showing what Eminent mentioned....
Bob

DavidBrough

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 17:44:53 »
Thanks Bob what a great sub frame, nice and clear, only trouble is I've got to get mine looking like that now so no pressure then.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 21:15:53 »
Hello David,
I can confirm that it is possible to replace your springs using the threaded bar that you used to remove the springs,to make the alignment of the spring in the bottom control arm easier,before you mount the control arm onto the axle, locate the spring into the bottom control arm indentation and use some white paint to mark the correct position on the spring and control arm on the stub axle side of the large hole in the control arm,by doing this you will on tightening the threaded bar make sure the spring will correctly position itself in the bottom control arm indentation.
I have just done this today and marking the position made the job easier.

Eric

DavidBrough

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 11:51:52 »
Thanks Eric, I'll try that when things are ready to go back together.