Author Topic: Bespoke fitted luggage heaven  (Read 14223 times)

Alf

• Senior
  • England, Surrey, Lightwater
Bespoke fitted luggage heaven
« on: March 23, 2010, 20:38:46 »
I regularly tour in the summer and have been investigating fitted luggage as a solution to the 'round peg in square hole' suitcase problems with the boot space (trunk to you guys over the pond). I was not interested in the genuine Mercedes luggage for the Pagoda as it looks cheap and is not space efficient. Well I took the plunge and commissioned some fitted luggage for my baby. It arrive yesterday and i'm beside myself with joy. It looks fab-u-lous!  ;D

As soon as I get some decent weather, maybe at the weekend I'll shoot and post a link to a set of photo's. Until then, here is a teaser. No prizes for guessing where this piece goes.
Alf
'69 280SL. Silver (180 G) with black hardtop

Douglas

Re: Bespoke fitted luggage heaven
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:24:23 »
Nice job. So did you do it with a plaid interior like the old 50s Mercedes luggage? Let's see some pix of the inside. (I'm assuming this piece is for the rear parcel shelf?)

(BTW, Oliver Dare in California has made up luggage for Pagodas before and basically mimics the Karl Baisch luggage you'd see in a 1950s Mercedes like a Gullwing.)

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 06:04:41 »
Hi Douglas. Plaid would have been a good idea but i didn't think to ask if that was possible.  :(. I went for one of the manufacturers standard linings, a pale blue alcantara. Correct guess on where the case goes by the way. I'm away from home for a few days but will make a fuller posting with more pics at the weekend. Cheers!
Alf

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:25:42 »
Pics of the stuff in the car, too please!
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 20:06:04 »
Yes! Please, please some pictures please, both in and out of the car, and with the interior of the luggage shown.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 20:23:50 »
Ok James & Jonny. I'll shoot & post pics on Saturday.
Alf

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 20:05:55 »
OK, here are some photo's of my shiny new luggage ;D. I have uploaded some more to 'Ovi by Nokia' and you can access them by clicking on this link http://share.ovi.com/album/alfnoto.pagodabespokelu. The luggage is black with silver stitching to match my cars colour combo. The luggage in the boot looks a bit brownish but this is a trick of the light or maybe due to the boot light shining down as with the naked eye they are all very black. The lining is blue alcantara

The 2 parcel shelf cases are unequal sized (about 70/30) as I wanted the larger one to fit between the 2 speakers I have in the back in case I travel with just one of these. However I really like this arrangement, I think it's going to be quite versatile like that.

The cases were made by Bespoke Luggage http://www.bespokeluggage.com/. Interesting website showing different colours and the cases they have made for other cars. Paul Kennedy runs this business and he is really helpful and of course he now he has all the dimensions.

I'm really happy  ;D ;D how this has turned out and can't wait to use them properly. Come on summer! Let me know what you think...
Alf

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 20:44:24 »
Alf,  beautiful luggage and I can tell from your text that you are beside yourself with how well they turned out.  I can understad why.  Dare I ask how much it cost? 
Happy travelling. ;D
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 21:41:12 »
Looks great, and a perfect fit.

So I'm guessing you won't be checking your new luggage?   :-X
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

Douglas

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 21:42:37 »
Looks really nice. Thanks for sharing. And now comes the easy part for this project--you must have a retaining strap made to hold the luggage down. That'll be the crowning touch.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 23:02:31 »
I really am impressed with the behind the seat luggage. A very innovative set up indeed. THANK YOU for sharing this with us all.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

w113dude

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 13:05:13 »
Beautiful craftsmanship, There are so few places left in the world that could make this kind of accessories. Enjoy! :)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 16:06:24 »
If you go to the web site listed, the prices for the luggage are listed there, along with several other options. While not cheap, it is also not completely outrageous either.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 17:02:36 »
Thankyou all for your nice comments. :)

Marcus - As Jonny B has mentioned, Paul has just updated the Bespoke Luggage website with more photos and prices. £325 - £250 per case.

Douglas - I'd love to get a retaining strap. Does anyone know of a supplier or have a photo or drawing the ends of the strap that fit into the brackets in the boot?

Dash808 - No these babies aren't going anywhere near an aeroplane hold! :o But the smaller of the 2 parcel shelf cases and the small case in the boot are both the right size for carry on luggage. This was intentional as when touring I sometimes pick up my wife en-route who flies down some of the way.
Alf

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 17:03:31 »
sorry a typo - £325 - £350.
Alf

Douglas

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 03:36:43 »
Oliver Dare in Elk Grove, California, has the pattern for the strap. He made one up for me several years ago and uses the same hardware he uses on a 1950s Mercedes. The original strap was available in either black or brown.

If you have trouble finding contact info on Ollie Dare, let me know. I can do some digging in my old records. It may help to know that he's one of the better known sources for most of the repro luggage you see for restored Gullwings here in the States.

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 07:22:23 »
Hi Douglas. I can't find any contact details for Oliver Dare on the internet so if you can find his details please either post or email them to me. Thanks a lot!
Alf

bpossel

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 10:58:59 »
Hi Alf,

Here is Oliver's contact information:

Oliver Dare
olliedare@hotmail.com
916-212-6018

When I bought the luggage strap in early '09, it was ~$100us, including shipping.

Bob  :)

Douglas

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 02:38:55 »
Alf,

I see Bob got the needed info to you on Ollie. I would also consider having 2 straps made up for the rear parcel shelf in the style of a 300SL. You could fashion a retaining clip on the backside of the wood of the parcel shelves and wrap it around the luggage. Could be quite nice. Obviously, you don't need any of these straps since your luggage fits very snugly, but it would look a little more finished than having them simply inserted into the car. That's how they did it in the older Mercedes, after all. Keep up posted on your progress. Very impressive work.

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 09:10:44 »
Thanks for the contact details Bob. Waiting for Oliver to get back to me.

Interesting idea Douglas & thanks for the nice feedback. I'll have a play around with the design over the next few weeks
Alf

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 20:29:34 »
Alf

If you get the design sorted, Gary might be able to make a set up for you. More local than Cal...

http://www.suggate.co.uk/
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 13:58:46 »
Alf,
Great looking luggage.  Really nice and looks well made too.  I have one question, I am looking for someone to make (to specs) the luggage tie-down strap for the trunk.  It looks like a belt, with a belt buckel and strap loop, two pieces.  Made of two piece leather sewn on edges and each end has a pin that fits into the pin brackets located in the trunk.  Do you think the luggage maker would do straps?
Thanks,
Bob 
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 22:17:51 »
No he doesn't do straps. See the earlier post from Bob giving Oliver Dare's contact details. I have emailed and am waiting for a response.
Alf