Author Topic: Engine Stall on Automatic. Trying to Turn it.  (Read 2837 times)

68-250sl-rhd-auto

Engine Stall on Automatic. Trying to Turn it.
« on: April 10, 2010, 21:05:28 »
Help Please. I have a 250 Automatic. It has been sat for 8 years and the engine does not turn at all. I was running fine prior to being parked. I have removed the head and am trying to get to the pistons. I have been informed that it might be the transmission - in that it is an automatic and that I can not turn the engine as it is still in gear. I am sure it is in neutral. What shall I do? I have purchased an engine hoist to remove the engine, but been informed to jack one rear wheel off the ground and try and turn the engine that way...is that possible with an automatic? Should I try and tow it in gear to see if the engine turns that way? Is there something that I have missed? Help Please!!!

Bernd

Re: Engine Stall on Automatic. Trying to Turn it.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 15:57:58 »
I think the old adage, when in doubt, use more force, is ill advised. A quick story..my wife has horses, and when we first started out we had a particularly stubborn young horse that did not want to trailer load. We received all sorts of good advice, from putting his food in the trailer and only feeding him there, to forcefully pulling him in and keeping him there for a while, as well as many others. Bottom line, it was a miracle we didn't kill him. Lesson: for every problem there is a logical correct solution. Forcing it is NOT the way!

My advice and personal opinion: pull the engine, pull the oil pan, pistons, etc: check everything, replace rings, bearings etc. as needed. Do what you need to make sure the engine is not seized before you try to start it. After an 8 year time of just sitting its the least the engine deserves. Compared to the price of a new engine/tranny the cost of doing these things i quite minimal, and it will give you the piece of mind that you won't break down on the road on your  nwe "maiden voyage".

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
Re: Engine Stall on Automatic. Trying to Turn it.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 17:36:24 »
I don't think that will work with an auto.  You can try putting PB Blaster or Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders and let it sit for a day.  Then put a 27mm socket and appropriate extension on the crank hub.  Attach a ratchet or breaker bar and slip a piece of pipe over the handle to get more leverage.  Give it a try in a clockwise direction.

But I agree with Bernd.  You should pull the engine and have a good machine shop check out the block.
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA