Author Topic: Steering box leak internal  (Read 3338 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Steering box leak internal
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:46:40 »
I've searched and read almost all the posts about steering box leaks and they all seem to come from the top.  Mine is leaking out a small "weep hole' on the bottom.  I've purchased a seal kit, but before I tear it open, I'm wondering if it is easier and or practical pull open the bottom of the box without removing it from the car.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Steering box leak internal
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 00:35:55 »
Well, I answered my own question.  I removed the pittman arm and undid the 6 socket cap bolts and pried off the bottom plate.  Replaced two shaft seals and two o-rings.  Put it back together and filled and bled the system.  Drove it about 10 miles.  So far, so good. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:23:43 »
Raymond,

How was the job, and do you have a P/N for the kit?

I have an increasing oil leak from the power steering and it's making a mess on my floor. I really should get it sorted. Not sure whether my pump is leaking from the top or bottom. I suppose I should pull the thing and change all the seals. Just wondered how you got on with a simple arm removal, if indeed it was simple!

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 14:13:32 »
If this was a fairly simple repair that didn't require removing the steering box from the car, I think a lot of us would like to see a write-up on your procedure, including part #s and any pictures you might have taken.  To paraphrase a famous night club musician:  "Lucy, you've got a lot of 'splainin' to do!"
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)