Author Topic: 1st genration type knob for flasher  (Read 4233 times)

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
1st genration type knob for flasher
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:21:27 »

Hi, my '66 is a Euro version, and has a flasher control on the dash just to the right of the main light switch.  I know with the later cars, the flasher knob matched the 2ND generation knobs on the radio, etc.  The 1st generation knobs are smaller, so was there a special knob for the flasher that would illuminate when flashing?

What's on my car now is a switch with a red plastic knob, and the entire knob is translucent.  The entire knob flashes with the flasher, not just a little window or hole.  This thing looks factory, and looks old enough to be correct.  Is that what these cars came with?

All the pictures I've seen show the dash with the new knobs, so I don't know what a dash with the older knobs would have for the flasher.

Thanks,  Ron

1966 230SL, euro

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: 1st genration type knob for flasher
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:22:43 »
I have a '69 delivered to Scotland and no flasher switch on dash.  I think it was an American safety issue and fitted to those exports and probably personal imports to gain registration
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 16:52:26 »

Hi, my '66 is a Euro version, and has a flasher control on the dash just to the right of the main light switch.  I know with the later cars, the flasher knob matched the 2ND generation knobs on the radio, etc.  The 1st generation knobs are smaller, so was there a special knob for the flasher that would illuminate when flashing?

The flasher on my 67 250 SL (early version) has a small (correct) knob that looks like the other small knobs.  It does not have illumination.  It mounts on the dash near the headlight switch.  It has a bezel around it that says "EMERGENCY". 

Here's a picture of what it looks like in front of the dash - I am not positive if the part that is behind the dash is correct for an early pagoda.  It is correct for an early Mercedes but I haven't gotten around to testing it with my Pagoda.

Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 17:59:24 »

Thanks Scott.  I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for one of these, then work up the will to tackle getting it into the dash.  I guess I need to check what sort of plug is on the one I have first. 

One side thought: if the one I have has the contacts like yours, and my wiring harness is not modified, then I probably have the correct one for my year.  Maybe it was added as a dealer option when car was brought over.  Ron

PS and durn, something else to buy for that car.  will it ever end? :)

1966 230SL, euro

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 02:42:57 »

Thanks Scott.  I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for one of these, then work up the will to tackle getting it into the dash.  I guess I need to check what sort of plug is on the one I have first. 

I'm not at all sure that this is correct for your car.  All I'm saying is that the front of mine (in my 1967 250 SL - early style) has the red bezel and knob that look like the flasher in the picture.  The flasher in the picture came out of an early 108 or 110 car.  I have a couple of them.  The next time the dash is apart on my pagoda I will see if it is the same flasher unit and I will test them and see if they   a) work    b) work in a pagoda.   
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:17:50 »
I dont think that any early Euro car had the flasher unit in it but I can be corrected by one of the European members.  The unit fitted to a Euro in the US would have been done to meet compliance only and not necessarily by a Dealer if it was an import.  To fit one to a Euro car will be definition not make it "correct"!!
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric