Author Topic: Service checklist  (Read 4688 times)

Dahlknudsen

Service checklist
« on: May 02, 2010, 20:13:03 »
I tried with no luck to find an original checklist for service runthrough, where to oil and lubricate it etc.

Can anyone help with this?

I ones meet an old mercedes mechnic and he said it had perhaps 30 places where to lubricate and it should be done every 3000 kilometers...

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Service checklist
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 20:39:19 »
You should be able to find this information in the technical manual ( as I see you are listed as a full member). Click on "Technical Manual" then to maintenance.

I just finished the annual chassis lubrication for my car, and it was 17 points (the center coupling on the drive shaft does not have one on my car) so that would make eighteen.

Your best bet is to find an owner's manual. They are not all that difficult to find, at least on ebay in the US. Patience, and you will find one.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 21:14:50 »
I think it's 20 for a 230, and a few less (17 maybe) for a 280.

I have the full manual as a PDF if you want a copy. It has the schedule and lube locations. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Just check you can receive a 7MB attachment first.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 21:24:47 »
I was under the impression that the schedule for suspension lubrication was every 3,000 miles.  Which does beg the question of how many people actually do that.  It also makes me wonder if is acceptable to extend that interval if you use synthetic grease.  Anyone with long term experiences to share?
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 21:31:47 »
Raymond,

The schedule does indeed say 3000 miles, but that was presumably based on 'normal use' back when the cars were produced; i.e. driven daily. With the sort of use mine gets, I find the grease dries out as I haven't done 3000 miles this year at all. I lubricate the chassis every 6 months or so. Grease is cheap and the job is very easy. It also keeps the nipples free.

Lots of grease = lots less wear on parts. Can't have too much of the stuff in my view. If you've replaced the kingpins you'll know why they're worth greasing up often. They'll last a lot longer if well lubricated.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

hauser

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 04:24:26 »
I have my suspension lubed twice a year.  It's part of the 120.00 oil change.  BTW I'm using regular oil or should I say the shop I'm using whoops I meant to say the the shop I used to use.

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:55:58 »
A few links:

http://www.pagode.info/30.htm
http://www.pagode.info/13.htm

I usually change the oil in autumn along with oil and air filter. In spring I lubricate all the nipples - can't remember how many but my rustproofer had succeeded in covering them all with gunk which was a pain in the xxx to remove...
If you prefer running a thick oil, here's a link to a Danish (I know you're a fellow dane ;)) webshop where I buy my oil: http://www.nettobuild.dk/shop/4-ltr-agip-28014p.html

Best regards

Ulf
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

Dahlknudsen

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:49:41 »
Once again... thank you Ulf - those are what I needed.

I was recommended this oil, so thats what I use...

http://www.oliebiksen.dk/shop/castrol-classic-20w-231p.html