Author Topic: Carpet Removal for Pulling Shift Linkage  (Read 4085 times)

wd

Carpet Removal for Pulling Shift Linkage
« on: April 28, 2010, 04:45:41 »
Okay this could be in the interior section also.

I am going to try to replace the bushings in the shift linkage which came off the transmission.  I read the threads on doing so but when in the car I came to the carpet which seems glued down. It is the original carpet.  I was wondering if heat or what is the best way to loosen the carpet so as to not mess it up. Is it necessary to remove the whole section or just enough to get past the shift gate?  Problem with clearing the shift rod?  Hope that makes sense. Need glue to reinstall carpet?

Now part two: any suggestions on installing the lockout backup light switch cable?  It snapped an inch below the switch when the linkage was knocked off.  I see that the bushings can be done without jacking it up, can the cable be done without jacking the car up?  I suppose once the linkage shifts I can manipulate the switch and drive it to a suitable place to jack it up.  Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:15:08 by 280SL71 »

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
Re: Carpet Removal for Pulling Shift Linkage
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:19:11 »
I'm in the middle of the same process (but only to replace the gear lever gaiter rubber thingy...) - apparently the carpet covering the transmission tunnel should not be glued in place, I suggest you try and remove it as carefully as possible. It's probably only held in place with contact adhesive that will have lost its elasticity over time. Not sure if heat will help much - apart from causing you to sweat even more...
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:26:11 »
I can't help you on the light switch cable but the carpet over the central tunnel should not be glued down as I was myself told and discovered.  It should lift off in one piece.  When I changed my bushings a few months ago I gave the carpet a good tug and it lifted out.  Can get trapped and held in place by the parking brake handle.  If it is glued down maybe someone else knows a non destructive way of removing it.  If you are changing the bushings you should change them at both ends of the thrust rods and shifting tube (manual transmission).  You will need to access below the shift gate as well as a panel further up the tunnel to access the other ends of the rods and tube.  When complete I would not reglue it in case you ever need to access those areas in the future.  Hope that helps.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 17:10:00 »
Careful. Conflicting information. On my 1970 280 SL the carpet on the tunnel was definitely glued down (and I believe original).
Wd's car is probably more like mine,
And, when I was taking it out for the same reason, some of the carpet stayed glued down (pulled thru the backing). :(
I will need to get creative in the future to fix this. But, at least I still have that patch of carpet.  ;D
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

wd

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 00:55:47 »
Thanks for the replies.  I was away for a few days.  I went out and was able to get it up past the shift gate.  The trailing edge was glued but only a few inches in.  The parking brake is holding a bit down.  The forward half is definitely glued down so I will attack this in the next few days and make a note of any success or failures.  Waiting for the grommets.