Author Topic: linkage tour  (Read 3227 times)

gnj588d

linkage tour
« on: May 05, 2010, 19:49:20 »
Just fitting new ball sockets on the control rods from the injection pump the problem is it does not seem possible to set the rod from the pump to 233mm and set the cross over rod with the alignment hole provided it would leave the control rod from thr injecion pump at 230mm,the same problem as a couple of other members reading the linkage tour, is there a way around this. Cheers Mike. P.S. if I do set the rod at 233mm and line the cross over rod up with the alignment hole then the rod is not resting on the stop on the pump
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 20:09:35 by gnj588d »

DavidBrough

Re: linkage tour
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:39:00 »
I think the pump rod length is for linkages without the alignment hole, my understanding is that the pump leaver must be on its stop and the throttle butterfly closed with all linkages taught so that any movement then opens both the pump and the butterfly at the same time. So, if you have an alignment hole you just lock the cross link and set the rods to achieve this, if you don't have an alignment hole then you must first set the length of the pump rod before removing any play with the others. When you've done all that you just pray that any previous owner didn't move the linkage arm on the pump as that can really mess things up.

gnj588d

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 13:10:04 »
Thanks David that is just what I have been told today by a very respected old merc fan.Many thanks. Mike.

glenn

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 13:44:19 »
How many linkages have been rotated at the shaft coming out of the FIP??  In 39-47 years, 10 to 20 percent?. ..    PPP  Pertinent Pagoda Pondering