Author Topic: Another speedometer problem topic  (Read 6336 times)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Another speedometer problem topic
« on: July 22, 2009, 13:35:02 »
OK, so my speedometer needle was sort of flopping around and we determined the problem was probably the slotted nut that holds the driveshaft flange to the transmission had loosened.
I now have removed the slotted nut. I don't yet have the correct tool, but did drive off the nut by tapping on it in the slots with a drift and hammer. It was not loose, and took some banging to remove, though not a great deal. The nut is sort of hardened and doesn't show any damage as a result of my crude removal technique. (I'll make a copy of Waqas's tool to replace the nut.)
So, I'm wondering if the nut was my problem. I replaced the speedometer itself with another one before tackling this job, and it has the same erratic reading. It isn't just bouncing around; the speedometer reading goes just so high, and no further, and also drops 20 mph or so every now and then.
The cable looks new on the outside. I've not removed the inside of it.
While I have the slotted nut off, I see there is a sort of cover at the rear of the transmission which I might be able to remove. Is it possible the problem is inside that cover? It looks like removing it might expose the speedometer drive mechanism.
I don't want to get everything back together only to learn I should have gone into this area when the work with the slotted nut was being accomplished.
Incidentally, I found that only one of the six bolts that secures the flex disk had a washer on it! And, all of the lock nuts could be easily removed by hand, once loosened. Apparently, the previous owner, though a good mechanic, had no idea of how this disk is supposed to be secured, or of how picky the requirements are for the tightness of the nuts and placement of the washers. The flex disk appears to have no damage, but I am glad I found this problem with the lack of washers. Of course, I'll replace the lock nuts with new ones.
Joe

jeffc280sl

Re: Another speedometer problem topic
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 23:22:54 »
I'm familiar with the manual transmission rear cover and speedo worm gears.  The design is very robust and with a tight slotted nut it should either work or not work.  Its not an intermittant type thing.  I would change the speedo cable.  I had problems with noise on my tach and it turne dout to be the cable.

Joe

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 01:42:23 »
Thanks, Jeff. That is the information I needed.
Joe

JJoiner

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:48:26 »
On this same subject of erradict acting speedometers:  Mine bounces around and reads slow.  When I push in on the clutch it bounces up to the approx. correct speed.  I diagnosed the problem as a cable and bought a new one but found replacing it to be no easy weekend job -- or at least it seemed that way to me!  Gave up.  Any suggestions as to proper diagnosis, and if a cable, is there some tech. assistance from anyone on replacing the thing?  JJoiner 280SL 4spd

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 13:34:27 »
It sounds to me like you have a loose slotted nut on the rear of the main transmission drive shaft.  There are some fine tolerances at work here.  When the clutch is engaged against the fly wheel some force is being exerted against the transmission drive shaft driving it towards the rear of the car.  It is just enough force to move it slightly off the speedo gear causing it to slip.  As you push the clutch pedal in you remove this force and sufficient friction is in place to spin the speedo gear.

Joe

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 23:55:58 »
I apologize for not closing out this topic.
I found the slotted nut was tight, but removed it anyway. Lacking the proper tool, I simply tapped it out with a hammer and punch. A pawn shop sold me a long 1-1/8" 6-sided impact socket whose O.D. was just slightly bigger than the O.D. of the slotted nut. This cost me about six bucks. Using a bench grinder, I ground down the working end of the socket, leaving two opposing nubs about 1/8" long and slightly narrower than the slots in the nut. Having the nut in hand allowed me to fashion the tool to pretty much exactly fit two of the four slots in the nut. I had to do some hand work with a metal file to remove the rounded areas on the side of the nubs (left by the rounded corners of my grinding wheel) so they would fit deep enough into the slots on the nut. I also had to file some of the inside of the socket nubs so they fit. Lastly, I ground down the outside of the socket so the O.D. was slightly less than that of the slotted nut, which is recessed when fitted. I probably had to remove less than ten mils.
The total time to make this tool was about a half hour.
The socket worked just fine. Oddly enough, this solved the speedometer problem. I figured it wouldn't, since the nut was already "tight". Just a bit more torque, using my makeshift tool, worked a treat.
Note 1: The socket I bought was an impact socket. They are possibly made of stronger steel. I was concerned that, gripping the nut in only two slots, one of the nubs might break off. Not to be.
Note 2: A deep socket is necessary so as to clear the transmission shaft.
Note 3: Making a tool with four nubs would be more difficult, using a regular bench grinder. And, while all four nubs might fit into the slots, it is almost a certainty that only two of them will actually contact the slots' surfaces. Since these two could be next to each other, rather than opposing, I preferred to cut only two nubs.
Note 4: Making this tool without first removing the nut would be a pain in the patooty. The nut is hardened, so tapping on it with the punch doesn't mar it.
Note 5: Upon getting to the flex disc, I found that it had not been put on correctly. There are six bolts and nuts, with washers, and they have to be put on a certain way. The man from whom I bought the car is an accomplished mechanic, but he had no idea that his method of attachment could eventually result in disc failure. I suggest that everyone who has never looked at their flex disc do so to ascertain the bolts are fitted correctly.
It is nice to have a working speedometer!
Joe

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 22:45:52 »
Hello jjoiner,

Your speedometer has the classic symptoms of a loose slotted nut on the transmission. some shifting problems often (but not always) go along with these issues. If the nut becomes too loose, a woodruff key in the upper gear cluster of  the transmission comes out of its slot. At this point just torquing down the slotted nut will  solve the speedometer issues but shifting problems may persist. Follow the advice given by Jeff and Joe as soon as possible.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Audiophile

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, MN
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 18:08:46 »
What is the torque requirement of the slotted nut on a manual transmission?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 19:19:54 by mflaten »
Mark
1986 Porsche Carrera