Author Topic: alternator problem  (Read 7788 times)

simonadot

alternator problem
« on: July 17, 2010, 07:44:09 »
hello,
 i just bought a 250sl and the car went dead while driving. i noticed that the alternator light is always on while driving the car.
can an alternator issue stop the car while stoped at a red light.  ??????
does anyone know a good mechanic in the los angeles area??? I was quoted $800 to change the alternator. that doesnt seem like a good fair price.
please help
simon

Via Manci

Re: alternator problem
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 14:47:06 »
When the light is on the battery is not charging.  So , if you are driving the battery is discharging and will eventually go dead.  It is no real problem to replace an alternator and the replacement is easy to find.  Go to your regular mechanic. 

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 17:00:28 »
But it may be worth checking a few other things first, like belts, connections/leads; is the battery OK, etc. Check across the battery leads with a voltmeter also, and see what you get. (Or get a garage to do it). Unless you've been totally screwed over by the PO, I think it would be difficult to sell a car without a functioning alternator as it would be picked up on test drives.

Changing the alternator is not too difficult job. If you eventually do go down that route it would be worth upgrading to the 55amp alternator if you're so minded and don't already have one. (Not sure what the 250 had). I seem to recall that there are other units that could be used. (A Saab one, Naj?? He'll know that sort of thing and hopefully he'll be along soon!!)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 17:02:58 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

graphic66

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 19:19:50 »
Here is one for $75.00, http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=jmvnr1qzw2h4pn55ccrkowza&makeid=800016@Mercedes&modelid=1342561@250SL&year=1967&cid=18@Electrical%20%26%20Vacuum&gid=2412@Alternator  I put this in my car and the Bosch reman. seemed to work fine. If you have someone put it in make sure, if your alternator comes out the bottom, that you have both of your horns installed after. I have seen more than one car with a horn missing under the alternator. I would guess you should be able to get an alternator installed for well under $300.00. It takes about an hour and if the parts are marked up you should pay no more than $175.00 for the alternator at a garage, as you can see they should be had for under $100.00. It is a simple straightforward job. But, as mentioned above check out your connections and basic stuff before doing anything. Get a DC volt meter and check the voltage running and stopped, you should have 12+ stopped and 14+ volts running. You can also watch the headlights get bright when you start the car to indicate charging. The alternator is really simple to replace, and $800.00 is just plain wrong.
   I'll tell you what, for $800.00, I will fly from NY and put the alternator in for you, airfare included, and I am not kidding, just give me the word. I bet I can get a ticket for $400.00, an alternator for $80.00 and get to visit my friends while there and have enough money left over for dinner.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 22:06:14 »

I'll tell you what, for $800.00, I will fly from NY and put the alternator in for you, airfare included, and I am not kidding, just give me the word. I bet I can get a ticket for $400.00, an alternator for $80.00 and get to visit my friends while there and have enough money left over for dinner.

Love it. Classic.

Simon, you MUST take up this offer. It would make the best article ever for the Journal. Plus you get someone to work on your car who REALLY knows what they're doing.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Via Manci

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 00:29:16 »
Stop in Denver and I'll go with you.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 05:18:26 »
It's worth checking the voltage regulator on the passenger side of the eBay. If this goes kaput or gets disconnected, your alt won't charge battery. Wishful thinking?
James
63 230SL

hauser

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 06:46:19 »
If you replace the alternator opt for a 55 amp one.

graphic66

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 15:57:11 »
Love it. Classic.

Simon, you MUST take up this offer. It would make the best article ever for the Journal. Plus you get someone to work on your car who REALLY knows what they're doing.
Thank you so much for your compliment. Actually I am not a real mechanic, I only play one on the internet. But, I can diagnose and fix a pretty mean charging system.

simonadot

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 19:10:44 »
thank you every one for all the help. yes I know $800 was rip-off . i will take all of your comments in consideration.
thanks again,
simon

jeffc280sl

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 17:13:22 »
Simon,

My newer style 55 amp alternator failed early in the summer.  Turned out to be a diode failure.  On this version the diode pack is modular and was changed while the alternator was still mounted in my car for $40.00 by a Bosch service shop.  That was the least of my costs associated with the failure and does not include a new battery and towing costs.