Author Topic: Old Style Fuel Sending Unit Re-build  (Read 3452 times)

n/a

Old Style Fuel Sending Unit Re-build
« on: May 05, 2004, 09:46:26 »
I am resurrecting a 230SL that has been resting for 7 years and currently cleaning the fuel system starting at the tank and working forward.

The fuel sending unit was frozen.  It is the old style with a float and arm.  I removed to cover plate and was able to get the float arm to move using penetrating oil.  The contact makes connection across the entire arc and the connections are in place so I am going to reinstall.

Do I need to use a sealer on the small cover plate or do I just screw it back in place?

I am taking care of the rust and gunk build up in the tank using POR-15.

Thank you,

Royce

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Old Style Fuel Sending Unit Re-build
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 14:05:40 »
Hi Royce,
I put mine back without any sealer.
I believe it works 'wet' from new.
Also ensure feed and return lines inside tank are clog-free
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 14:12:54 by naj »
68 280SL

n/a

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 17:22:20 »
Thanks naj. It was crusted up I couldn’t tell if there was a gasket.

In regards to the pipes being clogged, thanks to the great information on the site I have already unplugged the return line from total blockage and getting ready to clean and reseal the tank.

An tip that may be usefull:  I used an old bicycle inner cable folding it over a couple of times and inserting this end into a drill.  I then frayed the opposite end in the form of a crude brush and cleaned out the return tube.  It worked very well.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 06:33:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by royce179

Do I need to use a sealer on the small cover plate or do I just screw it back in place?

Royce,
Hi.  What do you mean by "small cover plate"?  My sending unit must be a newer type because it's just a cylinder that pulls up out of the tank.  On my car there is a cork gasket between the upper rim of the sender unit and the fuel tank.  Best of luck with your resurrection!

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 07:40:14 »
Yes, Rod,
You have a later type sender unit. Its nicer because the needle does not dance about when you go round corners!
I tried to fit one - but I believe the wiring has to be changed around at the gage on the dash - and I was not in the mood for that!
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL