Author Topic: soft top compartment vinyl covering  (Read 2721 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
soft top compartment vinyl covering
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:00:21 »
I'm repainting again. Of course that means removing the old 4 inch vinyl on the soft top cover. Last time my upholstery guy did a poor job. There were a few wrinkles in the vinyl around the ends. I have the correct foam underneath. Does the foam glue on the metal, or does it just lie under the vinyl???  It just lies under it now. Not glued------ Any tricks to this nightmare. Also, what is really bad, is that the soft top compartment will be painted off the car. Then comes the task of finding someone to put the old vinyl on. I may have to buy a new piece from Bud's. Then I  take it up on one of my beds, to lie it on  feather pillows upside down,, so it won't scratch the paint, to put the chrome molding on with the mini-bolts. I'm sure a few of them will fall into the thing, as it always does. Ya better have extra)   Then the horror of bolting it back on the car, and adjusting it without scratching the paint. The new weatherstrip will be new and stiff, which won't help matters-geez-I guess all of us have to go through this torture.-Anyone have a better idea how to pull this off???
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: soft top compartment vinyl covering
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 17:52:43 »
The new weather strip does not cause a problem as it is very thin.  If you mark the cover before you remove it you should be able to line it up the first try.  If you are painting the under side mark at the edge of the bracket with a few small tick marks using a raiser blade.  If not painting the under side use tape as a marker and tell your painter not to remove the tape.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic