Author Topic: Help! - Steering Question 230SL  (Read 4007 times)

n/a

Help! - Steering Question 230SL
« on: April 19, 2004, 10:21:39 »
I could be having a senior moment but after a winter of little use, my '64 230sl has play in the steering wheel that I don't recall being there or at least not bothering me the way it does now.....

If I jack up the front end there isn't any noticable play in the verticle or horizontal directions on the wheels and the play is there with the car parked.  It is about 2".  Is that normal and if not, how much trouble is my bank account in ;>)

Bob L

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Help! - Steering Question 230SL
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 10:39:18 »
There is a steering column coupling at the firewall.  The rubber bushings in the coupling have perished.  The good news is that the coupling is available from your M-B dealer.  The bad news is that you have to remove the steering box in order to replace it.  Ask me how I know!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

n/a

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 11:36:11 »
Mike,
Thanks for the fast post.  That would make perfect sense.  The rest of the front end is pretty new and very tight.  The bushing could be shot but until some of the pieces fall out, no effect.  But once they start, ouch, they could be gone in a few dozen turns.  I'll check on the bushing price and availability.  I peaked at lunch time.  Is it as ugly as I think it is going to be...... ;>)

I probably will want the cookbook if you can point the way.

Bob L

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 08:25:09 »
I had the 2" of steering wheel play that you speak of.  I did this job last summer with the help of another Group member.  There are two hard rubber bushings in the coupling that do dissolve over time.  I had one in fairly good condition, but the other was literally gone. The parts are readily available and very cheap.

I will see if I have anything documented on how I did the job.  In the mean time, see this thread:
http://index.php?topic=384

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"