Author Topic: Fuel pump noise solved  (Read 3241 times)

Chrisheg

Fuel pump noise solved
« on: October 16, 2010, 23:57:52 »
I had a whining noise from the fuel pump since I bought the car. Today I found that the top of the pump was touching the protective cover that is bolted to the chassis. I was able to make the pump noise go away by putting 1/4" spacers between the pump and the cover. Apparently it was vibrating and rubbing against the cover whenever the pump was running.

ddunk80

Re: Fuel pump noise solved
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 06:07:49 »
that means your fuel pump is going bad and is working harder to keep up...replace it soon.They could clog up the fuel injections and other series of small passageways in the fuel system. Dirt particles usually come from scales of rust in the tank cars, storage tanks or drums. That is why it is essential that you have a fuel filter installed in your car.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:58:06 by Peter van Es »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Fuel pump noise solved
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 14:40:58 »
Crisheg,

Is your fuel pump properly mounted with the factory robber isolating studs?  If the pump is mounted properly, and the protective cage mounted properly, there should be NO rubbing or touching of anything.  There's also the issue of the proper cage as the fuel pump size did change, and there are several cages available, though I believe only one of them is currently available as new.

Check with the CC or a dealer, the studs are not expensive.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid