Author Topic: Seat Belt Tensioner  (Read 3862 times)

n/a

Seat Belt Tensioner
« on: April 13, 2004, 18:00:01 »
If anyone has changed the seatbelt tensioner on their 280sl, would you please let me know where you purchased it (non-M/B) I had seen somewhere that someone had obtained one from VW that looked similiar to the original. Also do most people install it directly below the shoulder hook, on the "B" Pillar? They want $450 to install one while they redo the interior, but I think I can do better myself??

n/a

Re: Seat Belt Tensioner
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 17:07:31 »
Is the seat belt tensioner normally installed in back of the drivers seat, left side, against the sill, or is it directly below the "B" Pillar? Any help appreciated.

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 04:46:37 »
Hi,
This has been discussed in depth in the past. I suggest you do a search for seatbelts. I think people made recommendations on where and how to install the tensioner.
Sometimes the tensioner is installed under the floor of the rear parcel shelf directly below the shoulder bracket.
The belt slides through the gap at the side of the shelf cover.
If the tensioner is installed behind the seat at floor level the seat travel will be restricted. It might also be a problem mounted at shoulder height.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
early 250 SL, RHD
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

John A. Dean

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 14:33:10 »
I replaced my original, non-retractable shoulder belts on my 69 280 SL with  retractable belts from an early 80's 380SL.  The retracting mechanism is bolted vertically under the parcel shelf and the belt then threads through the space between the shelf and the side of the convertible top compartment.  The pivot mounts at the original shoulder point as does the floor mount.  The piece into which the buckle snaps into must me mounted backward so that it doesn't impinge either the wooden center storage tray nor the seat's side.  This backwards mounting doesn't effect function.  I found the belts for $75 a pair from a wreck and I found that the only hard part of  the installation was placement of the mounting bolts through the floor pan in the area under the parcel shelf as there are two layers of metal in that area.  The installation is very clean looking, very functional and can be reversed easily back to the original belts with the only evidence being some holes inside of the parcel area where no one ever looks anyway. The retractable setup avoinds loosing the belts under the seat, catching the belts in the door and are more comfortable when you move around in the driver's seat (eg. leaning out of the window to enter the code to a parking lot.)

1969 280SL, manual, MB TEX, green/cognac