Author Topic: SHIFT BUSHINGS  (Read 2658 times)

n/a

SHIFT BUSHINGS
« on: April 21, 2004, 18:15:51 »
Today, I changed the shift bushings on my 1965 230 SL.  Now the diagram on the shift knob means something.  Two out of three bushings on the manual transmission had disappeared completely.  My kit did not have the gromets for the stud bolts on the transmission.  I had to improvise.  What is the correct part number for these stud bolt gromets?  Is there a generic gromet that will do?

I cannot completely shut off the water flow to my interior heater - very warm sweaty toes.  I put in a copper shut off valve on the water line, on the driver side, in the engine compartment.  I used a 1/2 X 1/2 vale with a sliding handle and a 1/2" to 3/4" copper adapter at each end to bring the the valve ends up to the ID (inside diameter)of the water hose.  It does not look that intrusive. I will do a proper fix this winter.  

Rupert

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: SHIFT BUSHINGS
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 21:42:52 »
Rupert,

I can't speak to the gromet question, but your heater core always letting water through may be a simple adjustment.  I can get you started, others will have to provide more detail.

1. Open the hood.
2. Remove the rubber cover over the heater core valve.  This is on the driver's side, near the top of the firewall, and is about 3 inches across.
3. Here you can see the valve and the linkage rod that actuates it.
4. Move the dash board control all the way open and note the position of the linkage and valve.
5. Move the dash board control all the way closed and note the position of the linkage and valve.
6. Determine the adjustment required and correct.

You may be able to disconnect the valve from the control rod to manually close it.  This is a good test to make sure you don't have a physical problem that prevents the valve from closing.

Disclaimer: I have never personally done this, I have just watched other perform adjustments on this valve through that access hole in the fire wall.

Others have written about removing this valve and cleaning it and replacing seals.  Search the tech articles and discussion forum for more info.  Others with actual experience can add more.

Thanks,

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 22:23:44 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"