Author Topic: I guess that I've become a Pagoda snob  (Read 6205 times)

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
I guess that I've become a Pagoda snob
« on: December 12, 2010, 23:20:47 »
One of the tasks associated with my 280SL project is to look at high-priced cars to see how they have handled the details. 

Tonight, there is a bumper crop of $50K+ cars on eBay.  It's amazing.  All of them except one have a cheese-slicer hose clamp on the heater inlet hose.  None of the have decent decals on the anti-pollution relays.

I finally found a car advertised by Daniel Schmitt & Co. of St. Louis.  Supposedly a 38K original car, for the breathtaking price of $62,770.  This must be the real deal, I thought.  Here is a part of the description:

Finished in classic and desired Silver Grey Metallic with beautiful Black leather interior and matching convertible top. This magnificent motorcar comes well equipped with nearly every option; including power steering, leather interior, hard top, soft top, and much more! This is without question one of the finest 280SL’s we have seen in many years! We are proud to offer this investment grade Mercedes to the most astute collector, investor, or enthusiast who demands the best. Bid with confidence—you will not be disappointed in this truly spectacular motorcar!

So I looked at it, and there was another engine compartment with a cheese-slicer.  Not to mention black under-hood and inner fenders! For $62K+! Along with a whole bunch of other stuff that's just plain wrong.  You can see it for yourself at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-SL-Class-STUNNING-1971-MERCEDES-BENZ-280SL-CONVERTIBLE-ONLY-38-000-MILES-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5addf18485QQitemZ390270649477QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Here's  a picture of the engine compartment, though, to save you some time.
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

TargaNfld

Re: I guess that I've become a Pagoda snob
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 00:24:21 »
I might be wrong ... my impression is that Pagoda owners are not overly fixated on being "rivet counters".

They leave that sort of thing to the Ferrari and Jaguar aficionados.

Pagoda owners seem to be happy just driving with the top down, enjoying a reliable sports car with just the right amount of Elan.

I suppose if my interest was in "Trailer Queens" or Concour events, then the cheese slicer would bother me ... by the way what the heck is a cheese slicer ... is that what I attach my pool pump hose with ?

I much prefer to be driving the back roads of Wales on a rally ... that being said I agree that if one pays full pop for a restored example it should be done correctly.

Cheers ... bb

TargaNfld

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 00:41:14 »
Chuck ... follow up ... I just took a look at the engine bay ... Yup ... my pool pump hose clamps , clear as can be ... mind you they do work pretty good.

What would annoy me more, the clamps can be replaced, is that they push the low mileage ... then further down toward the end of description where all the fine print is the say that the mileage cannot be verified due of the age of the car.

So forget the age, then determine if the car is worth buying ... it would depend on who did the restoration and documentation to show before and after.

Other than the above, seems like a pretty nice example, in the right colours with the right accessories.

Cheers ... bb

MichaelB.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 00:55:22 »
I do hope it sells for that. Daniel Schmitt has a very bad reputation for customer service but I like the looks of some of the inventory. Nevertheless kudos to you for putting your car together better than the rest. Bravo.

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:02:49 »
For the money they are asking they should at least have a correct gas cap and battery tray cover also.  I'm sure a closer look will reveal more. There are allot or details that my $15000 purchase had that their 60K example does not have.  My car is more correct for originality than the ones they are trying to sell.  Sure, they look nice on the surface but we know better.  My car is not perfect but I use MB and period correct parts on everything to keep it as correct as possible.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL (Sold)
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

Witt

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:10:46 »
One of the tasks associated with my 280SL project is to look at high-priced cars to see how they have handled the details.  
So I looked at it, and there was another engine compartment with a cheese-slicer.  Not to mention black under-hood and inner fenders! For $62K+! Along with a whole bunch of other stuff that's just plain wrong.  You can see it for yourself at:

.....yes, you have become one of those....

CHEERS !
WITT !
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 22:51:04 by Peter van Es »

Bernd

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 18:22:33 »
perhaps a stupid question, since mine is a '68; The car looks to me like it has a 280SE engine. If you look at the intake housing, it is definitely more like the sedan's. Also, the thermostat housing, the thermo time switch etc is very different on mine. Since I have a friend's 280SE engine in the garage like now I am thinking that is what I am looking at. Can the real 71 owners please comment and educate me? I don't want to do the car injustice.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 19:41:23 »
Here is the deal guys [and gals] in case you have not figured it out.  Apparently Chuck Taylor has.

If you repair, restore, replace, or otherwise work on your car, and do it properly, you eventually end up with a "Concours Quality" car...whether you realize it or not!

Doing it properly can be as simple as buying your parts at or from Mercedes-Benz; and simply ensuring you have done a bit of research about what you are doing.  Many owners, usually that dreaded "PO" (previous owner) did not take the time to do it right.  Others in the interest of cost and time do the minimal amount of work necessary or the easiest work.  How often have you heard or seen someone say, "I'm not interested in Concours quality, just...[fill in blank]"?  Then, people do things as mundane as buying hose clamps at Home Depot, or getting incorrect sedan parts from a parts car, bondo instead of metal replacement, et al, ad nauseum.  The end result is the cars that get so roundly critiqued here--particularly the eBay specials.

Know what you are buying (if you are buying) and know what you are doing, (if you are doing).  That is precisely why this group exists; to help preserve the model and share the knowledge.

In the interest of holiday spirit, regarding Daniel Schmitt and others like them, "Forgive them for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34; did I get that right Al?)  They really do NOT know what they are doing. :o

...which of course means YOU need to!!! ;)

Chuck, my guess is you have not become a snob; you have simply become very smart and very educated because of what you have accomplished.  Congratulations.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 19:51:31 »
Bernd,

That's a very late production car(1971), as the plastic coolant tank indicates. A look at the VIN number 11304412021768 confirms that.
From the pictures that looks like the correct type of intake manifold for car produced that late.
Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 20:03:26 »

Which is why the pictures are mostly of paint and chrome.  I've never been a fan of Schmitt cars, seem to be more show than go, the pretty dress on so-so bones.  I've never dealt with Schmitt, this is just my observation from many varied offerings of their's that I've looked at online over the years.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 22:51:41 by Peter van Es »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 22:19:45 »
Daniel Schmitt = Aventura Motors.  Need I say more?
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored