Author Topic: Parts commonality  (Read 2589 times)

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
Parts commonality
« on: December 14, 2010, 19:27:52 »
Guys,

I posted this under another topic which may have been missed so I shall ask the question here.

My question relates to the front suspension. What commonality is there between W113s and  other Merc models of the same era for front suspension items such as the cross member, control arms etc.  We have quite a few German wreckers handy so sourcing any bits - even a complete unit shouldn`t be a problem.

Cheers

George
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

Hale Merced

Re: Parts commonality
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 20:45:07 »
90 percet of suspension and drive train components are interchagable between 113, 108, 111.  However 112, 109. are not due to air suspension.

wbain

Re: Parts commonality
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 04:42:18 »
The only difference between the air suspension models and steel spring cars are the lower control arms and the rear axle tubes, (the diff case too based on no compensating spring). The kingpins, upper and lower mountings are the same. The upper control arms are the same. Bushings are similar too and there are minor sway bar variations.

When I look for parts, I find no parts listed for W111 cars, but many for W113 parts will fit as well as W180's. Watch those coolant hoses though.