Author Topic: Gernold Nisius Sighting  (Read 4044 times)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Gernold Nisius Sighting
« on: December 22, 2010, 21:00:13 »
While I have never had the please of meeting Gernold, I see his name mentioned on numerous occasions on this sight.  As such I wanted to pass along that Gernold is featured in the latest issue of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car (February, 2011 issue) in the "Profile in Excellence".  A nice article and very interesting what he has to say about the 230SL and the 280SL at the end of the article.  Sorry to all of you that have 280SL's  ;) ;) ;D  You'll have to read the article.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
Re: Gernold Nisius Sighting
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 03:48:27 »
can you post the article on here?
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 13:10:58 »
I don't think I can post it as it may infringe on copyright.  I notice the newest issue is not yet posted on their own website.  It may show up there shortly.  If you don't subscribe to Sports and Exotic Car I would recommend it as it is a nice read on a snowy Sunday afternoon.

After having read the article I happened to be leafing through the Mercedes Collector (1992 issue) and was reading an article on a buyers guide to W113 engines, which was penned by non other than Gernold.

The article talks about how he came to the US and how he came to work solely on the W113.  With respect to the 230SL and 280SL, he talks about their value down the road.  He believes the 230SL will appreciate more, especially the older 63 and 64 cars due to their parts becoming harder to find.  He also prefers the 230SL engine.  He also talks about the cost of restoration, and that it is greater than the potential market value of the car once it is complete.  Other than maybe some of the 500k+ cars, are there any cars out there that would have a market value greater than the cost of restoration?

Merry Christmas to everyone.
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

MichaelB.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 20:27:01 »
It is a great article.

Nice to read that Gernold favors the 230 as well. "Those are just beautiful, and they drive nice" he quips.

Gernold goes on and says that he likes the way the 230 engine does not rev high - as its a low revving engine that has smooth power, not busy like a 280. And he states "that is just a nice way to drive".

Well said.

Several good photos are shown as well.