Author Topic: Need some pictures for project car  (Read 7027 times)

230SL

Need some pictures for project car
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:56:24 »
I am working on a 66 230SL the car was dismantled by someone else and a ton of parts were misplaced if you can call it that.
I anybody could help I would be very much grateful

I wanted to know if the car rear license plate light have lenses?  I have the piece which holds the light but no plastic or glass lens.

I have 2 types of shields for the torque converter I do not know why would anybody have a picture of the torque converter shield?

The back of the alternator has a few connectors i might be missing a harness I have seen on a few pictures that some wires go to a connector which is connected to oil pan then another set of wires go to the alternator would anyone have a picture of the setup for my car and or explain to me what is needed?  

On the injection pump thermostat housing there is a limiting screw.  It stops the plunger in the housing.  The screw is a 13mm head with a spring attached to it and is locked in using a pin.  Would anyone have any specifics on the screw ,picture would be good even its is mounted to the housing.

Thank you
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:01:06 by 230SL »

dtuttle123

Re: Need some pictures for project car
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:09:56 »
There are in fact (2) plastic lenses for the license plate - and there are a pair for sale on e-bay - Item No: 260713743366 - take a look at the picture to see what they look like.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 13:34:21 »

Hello,
The screw on the IP should be set all the way at the top. It is for test purposes only

Some of the earliest versions alternators had all ring terminals on the wiring instead of a plug and a ring terminal.

I am not sure what you mean by "shield" for  the torque converter? Possibly the metal grate on the bottom of the bellhousing?

Keep the questions coming, we will try to help out.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

menesesjesse

• Silver
  • USA, MD, Indian Head
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 13:57:19 »
There are indeed plastic lenses for the plate lamps.  They are almost always brittle from age.   I have tons of pictures and some parts if you are missing things.  I have a 66 automatic so we should be looking similar in most respects.  If you need specific photos let me know and I can help.  I am in the process of moving so my responses may be slow.  Hope you get yours on the road soon.  great cars.
Regards
Jesse
Jesse
1966 Mercedes 230 SL auto
2003 Mercedes E500
1992 Ford F150
1994 Ford Bronco
2019 Shelby GT350R
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 14:13:26 »
here are some

edit:tried to delete this post, but apparently can't.  Couldn't find the pic i was looking for.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 14:19:27 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 15:05:57 »
Hi,

As Joe says, ring terminals on early 230 Alternators.

Naj
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 15:14:32 by naj »
68 280SL

230SL

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 01:25:26 »
How many wires are attached to the alternator i have a 3 pin at the bottom of the alternator which looks like it needs a connector.  The harness that delivers these wires has a set that goes to the starter motor and i think its 4 more that have circular connectors at each wire.  I will try and take some pictures this weekend. 

As for the screw any better pictures a bit closer to get an idea how far out the spring sits?

The shield for the torque converter i saw thank you for that(thelews)

I saw the fuel pump is held on a little different then mine (thelews) here is a picture.Pic 1, the hook type metal seems to make the house wrap around the canister and then go to the metal line aside from (thelews) which goes from the pump and runs to the right side and connects to the metal pipe. Pic 2 There are 2 holes which hold the pump next to the wires coming out of the chassis and one holes on the right side of it(is this held on by sheet metal screws or threaded screws?)  These guys put so much undercoat they covered up all the important holes should of just POR-15ned the bottom and thats it.  Think i have a smaller gas tank as well.

What is used for the ground cables in the engine compartment???   The looks circle full of (blank) Lead?

Anyone good at puzzles? Pic 3

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:56:12 »
Yes the later 230SL alternators did have a three prong connector at the alternator along with at least one large ring terminal. The plastic plug is still available from MB but pricey for a little plastic. Alfred E just put a new plug on his car.

A terminal block hooks on the lower oil pan and has two different size ring terminals which join there. Use the correct size ring terminal on each different size screw.

Looking at the three prong alternator plug from the back, red is in the left position, black is in the right position and brown is the lower center position. The large ring terminal with the red fabric insulation goes on the alternator 10mm nuted lug.

The terminal block on the oil pan, from the main harness,  has the small ring terminal with grey wire and the larger ring terminal with the red cloth wire. These wires join with the small wiring harness which go  to the starter main lug and solenoid.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 20:13:18 »
Anyone good at puzzles? Pic 3

Hello 230.

A big unsorted mess. :D You need to clear that up a bit more in order to have the parts distinguishable more easily.
I realise a few things & try to explain that by the digits of a regular analogous watch.

5 mins to 12 o'clock - fuel pump canister
below canister: any sort of softtop compartment seal or hardtop seal or softtop seal. Can only be determined when unfolded.

12.30 - 1 o'clock - unpainted battery hold-down frame
3 o'clock - front bumper bracket (there should be 2 of them)
3.30 - large folded rubber seal: trunk seal or door seal (self-explaining when unfolded)
4 o'clock - curled fabric-covered hose - don't know; could be fuel system
6 o'clock - handbrake lever
6.30 - 7.00 o'clock - hood strap
7.30 - behind that large chome thing in the front (which I currently do not realize being something of the SL) there is a handbrake cable, seems to be the center one (the car has three)

center of clock -  a couple of radiator hoses. There should generally only be two large hoses from the engine (whater pump housing & thermostat) to the radiator. Maybe some are used, some new. Check it out. All the others are much, much shorter or smaller in diameter.
Furthermore, there are non-folded seals which go around the door windows (mounted to the hardtop and/or the softtop frame)
9 o'clock toward the center - door lock and above that enginehood lock

11.00 o'clock - large black cannister, air intake filter canister, bottom part.

Basically, if you are not familary with the car it will be very hard to assemble it correctly. Too many - especially small parts need to go the right way. You need to compare with an assembled car or have s.o. knowledgeable with you.
The SLS homepage (www.sls-hh.de) is extremely helpful since it host's basically the factory drawings of the parts catalogue.

It's also even more highly advisable to try to get the factory parts book (10126 230 SL edition C as of January 1967), which has been available from the authorised MB dealer (via MB classic center) but I am not sure whether or not it is still available. However, not all nuts, screws and washers are pictured on the drawings there.

Good advice: Take well care of any parts numbers you find on some parts or bags; these are extremely helpful to find out where the specific part belongs.

Good luck,
Achim
(230 parts collector)
Achim
(Germany)

230SL

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 23:58:30 »
When i posted the picture 3 it was just to show the mess, i am familiar with the parts, also that is an old picture of the unsorted mess and thats just one table i have 6 tables full of parts now all organized, my issue was the previous person that disassembled the car and was suppose to put everything neatly in bags and lay everything out so it would be an easy assembly did not and now i have missing pieces and most of the screws,washers,nuts were all lost so i bought stainless steel.  For the book had one the previous disassembler which i can't get in contact with anymore has it or sold it.   

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 05:30:51 »
Hello,

Be careful with the stainless steel screws.  It is a common mis-conception that stainless steel is stronger. Actually stainless steel hardware is quite a bit weaker than the original steel hardware. If your not careful you'll be breaking the screws off.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 14:50:35 »
Hello 230SL - I'm in a similar situation - vehicle disassembled by someone else - big parts are fairly obvious but the small parts, especially screws, bolts etc are a real unknown for me.  Many seem to be missing although I have a bunch.  I was able to identify what I think are the correct finishing screws to attach the 2 female receivers for the top latch at the top of the windshield. Going through what came with the car, I was able to find what looks like the correct screws (plus they fit) but I really have no way of knowing for sure.

If there is no other source of information about these things, I would be willing to take pictures and post as I figure out how to fasten the various pieces.  I'm still looking for the correct fasteners for the chrome piece behind the top of the doors that cover the forward part of softtop storage area - and I know that I'm going to be bumping into this problem over and over again.

I have the factory parts book - large edition - but as Achim pointed out, its not much help on the fasteners.

Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 18:14:53 »
I understand about having the pictures, I helped a friend with an assembly of a 280 SL engine bay, and we used my car as a reference point.

On a 190 SL we found another invaluable aid is the proper parts book. These can really help to understand the sub assemblies and small bits and such. (Just about everything we looked at on the 190 SL was incorrect in one way or another). You do need to exercise caution as the various exploded diagrams will not necessarily have all of the standard kind of parts shown (DIN screws, washers, and such). They are listed, but not always in the drawings.

So the parts book along with a proper car and photos will get you on the path.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor