Author Topic: I am looking for an auto body shop in Los Angles that is familiar with Pagodas.  (Read 2893 times)

barengray

I am looking for a trusted auto body shop in Los Angles that is familiar with Pagodas.

Over the Christmas Holiday my garage was broken into and someone attempted to steal my 230sl.  They did a nice job cutting my new top after drilling out my key whole to enter the car. I installed a switch to "turn off the battery" under the hood for when i am not driving my car for long periods of time.  The would be thieves found a car without power. Not understanding how to open the hood correctly.   They released the hood and then tried to pry open the hood from the front and the sides with a screw driver.  Busting up my grill and making many nasty marks and bends.  After giving up with much apparent frustration they busted out my lights and made off with a nice pair of prescription sunglasses for all of their troubles.  Now my troubles have started.

My 230sl is an worn original CA car.  It has the mellowed paint with door dings and a faded interior.  I bought it from a family friend and have known the car since I was a child.  My intent was to restore at some point to a nice daily driver, when I had enough money to do it right.  Right now I am just wanting to to repair the car's Christmas damage.

At this point I am dealing with an insurance company who wants to total the car for much less then I have into it.  I am trying to explain to them that a rust free, rebuilt engine and transmission, unmolested 230sl even with it's cosmetic issues,  is worth more then an over-sprayed, rust repaired, automatic Euro on ebay.  Also that I will not have my car totaled for some banged up chrome and cut canvas.  Currently I have one very high estimate from a Mercedes shop in my area. It's $4000 more then I was told I could have the total car repainted and chrome work done a few years ago in Northern California.  I need to get at least one more estimate to compare.

Any suggestions on a trusted shop will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
I have only the highest praise for Scott Melnick's Auto Engineering and Classic Mercedes Benz in Calabasas.  Scott works only on classic mercedes vehicles.  His shop is so good that I have twice sent my 68 280sl there from Spokane, Washington. Most recently he did major repairs after an engine bay fire.  This included a lot of paint and body work. His guys also installed a new soft top and did a great job with the fit on the install.    Give him a call at 310-456-5000.  Feel free to mention my name, Don Kellman when you speak to him.