Author Topic: Fuel compensating tank  (Read 3959 times)

roadsterdude

Fuel compensating tank
« on: January 14, 2011, 21:54:27 »
I have a '69 280 SL that has been somewhat molested over the years, and as I work on a section, I try to get things back to "right" as much as possible.  Doing a trunk refirb and wondering about the little fuel compensating tank on the passenger side of the trunk.  Mine is there, and apparently functioning, but kind of "hangs" in mid air supported only by the pipes, and laying back near the tail lights.  It looks like it "should" attach to something, but no idea to what.  Two hoses are attached to the filler tube, as indicated in the Book, and the third "vent" pipe is also routed down through the filler tube hole (which I think is incorrect).  The filler tube cover was missing, and someone had put aluminum foil all around the area for some reason (?). I have purchased a cover, and it (of course) does not allow room for all three hoses at the indention, so does not "wish" to fit.  I can (and might) force the issue finally, but thought someone may could supply a picture of how this set-up is supposed to look, and where the little tank attaches.

This will only make sense (I think) to 68 and 68 280 owners.  In '70 (I think) they went to a larger expansion tank on the driver's side.

Thanks, Mike

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Fuel compensating tank
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 22:34:31 »
Mike,

There are two versions that I know of.  The first is plastic with brass metal ferrules in which you connect the lines from the fuel tank; this is probably as originally installed.

The replacements you might purchase today from MB are all plastic; they have integrated, non-removable vent lines that you trim once you fit into position.

My car is in storage (winter you know) for now, but as I recall (I could be wrong) the tank kind of clips onto the cardboard inner liners in the trunk?  Many times those dreaded "POs" (previous owners) have for one reason or another, disposed of these inner trunk liners and chosen not to replace them. 

As for fitting, in my car the vent lines were metal (much like brake lines I believe) and only connected at the tank and the expansion tank (as you call the compensating tank) with small lengths of fuel line hose and proper clamps.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 15:33:07 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Fuel compensating tank
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 16:40:24 »
My 67 250 SL has the small tank, and I have it strapped to a support on the inside of the fender. It also has the small funnel shaped vent thing (FSVT) hanging down below the rear valence panel. It is currently at the doctors office (but close to ready to be released so I am not able to get a picture).
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor