Author Topic: Power Steering Pump - Longitudinal Slop in Shaft  (Read 3094 times)

wittenberg

Power Steering Pump - Longitudinal Slop in Shaft
« on: February 01, 2011, 17:55:18 »
Hey everyone,

I'm working on getting a 1966 230SL into daily driver shape.  The first step was to replace the steering coupler bushings, and during that process I figured out that the power steering pump wasn't working.

I pulled the pump (and the early, straight-shaft pulley, thanks to advice on this site) and cracked it, and I'm all set to replace the o-rings and seals, including in the pressure regulator.  One thing I'm not sure of, though, are the bushes for the output shaft itself.  The shaft rotates cleanly and without hitches, if not fast. 

The problem is that there is a good bit of slop in the direction of the shaft. I can move it about 1/2" into and out of the pump.   Are the bushings around the shaft meant to take up thrust, or is this normal?  If I do decide to press the shaft out and rebuild, does anyone know of a good source for these bushings?

Thanks a lot,

Mike

jacovdw

Re: Power Steering Pump - Longitudinal Slop in Shaft
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 17:53:55 »
Hello Mike,

1/2" of movement sounds a bit excessive.
There is a repair kit available for the shaft from Mercedes, part number should be A000 586 56 46 according to the EPC.

The price unfortunately is listed as 151 Euros and looks like it includes the shaft and bushings (I can not confirm that as I have never ordered one myself).
You should be able to order it through the Mercedes Classic Centre in Irving, California.

Hope this helps.