Author Topic: automatic transmission slips  (Read 3275 times)

nadeem

automatic transmission slips
« on: February 05, 2011, 07:02:16 »

Hi SL lovers
one friend of mine having problem in its automatic transmission. the car run well when it is cold or in the morning but after getting hot the transmission start slipping when you accelerate the car RPM reaches to 4000 but the car is moving like in second shift. should i get it overhauled or there is some adjustment problem. the oil level is OK.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: automatic transmission slips
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 15:00:09 »
Hello,

Check the engine timing. Engine timing will effect engine vacuum which will alter transmission modulator pressure.

Check for vacuum leaks.

Check the function of the three position solenoid and its linkages

Next I would remove the transmission pan, check for any broken parts or debris. If none, I would remove the filter and re-toque the valve body in the transmission (10mm head bolts). There is a small chance that the bolts have gotten loose over the years and are causing an internal fluid leak. Change the fluid and filter while your at it. Use the recommended fluid and drain and change the torque converter also.

Consider going through the modulator adjustment procedure after all else fails. (Somewhat difficult)

Check back for more specifics if needed (lots already posted on these issues)

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Tom Colitt

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 01:56:47 »
And also check the rubber modulator diaphragm on the lower right side of the transmission which can get small, barely visible holes (you'll now when you undo the 17mm fitting to the vacuum line and ATf spills out). Just undo three 8mm hex head bolts to get the diaphragm out.

nadeem

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 20:29:10 »
i will open the oil pan and check the filter or if there are any debris or broken clutch plate parts. if i need the clutch plates or the overhauling kit,anybody can send me the link to get original but cheaper parts.
thanks
-NADEEM