Author Topic: Radiator removal  (Read 3802 times)

GroovyTiggr

Radiator removal
« on: January 30, 2011, 13:11:58 »
Guys,

I want to remove my radiator but I faced a problem. I already read that it should be removed downwards which I tried.

The problem is that there is another kind of radiator (for airco?) bolted in front of the normal radiator. This one is hard to remove in the tight space. lowering the radiators as a pair failed because the (airco)radiator has some tube connections (90 degree angle) at the lower and at the upper end which stuck when lowering (or lifting).

I hope you get what I try to explain and have a solution.

cheers

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Radiator removal
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 14:55:50 »
It has been a few years since I did this so I'm not sure if I have forgotten somethiing, but here goes.  I removed the hood (bonnet) and pulled mine out from the top.  That takes 2 people and make sure you restrain the lifting spring or you can break knuckles, or worse, scratch the paint on the side of the hood.

The next agrivator is the fan shroud.  I removed it and moved it over the fan close to the block and tied it there out of the way.  The Air conditioner condenser in front of the radiator attaches with brackets to the two radiator mounting bolts on each side.  I recall the lower left side being difficult.  Support the A/C condenser to prevent it from dropping and putting strain on those copper tubes.  With 2 people again, I used a floor jack and a 2x2 board to support the radiator and allow me to lift it a bit when it was loose.  Slowly lift the radiator straight up, watching for every little bind and snag on all four sides.  Install is the reverse except that fiddling with the brackets and mounting bolts on the sides is even more fiddly. 

Be careful, slow, and patient and you can do it without damaging anything. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

GroovyTiggr

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 16:45:14 »
Luckily I don't have to be careful yet: The radiator needs to be refurbished and the car also needs a paint job ;).

So if I understand you correctly: you removed the airco part from the radiator before lifting the radiator out?

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 16:50:34 »
I did not remove the air condenser.  I only detached it from the radiator.  I left the condenser in place because I didn't want to lose the gas charge from the A/C.  I just used a bottle jack to support it so that it didn't hang the weight on the copper gas lines. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:03:47 »
Hello,

Normally the AC condensor is unhooked and removed with the radiator.  Ray's method will work also but is a little more tedious, but as he says, you do not have to recharge the AC.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback