Author Topic: And they call that - well sold!  (Read 2507 times)

MichaelB.

And they call that - well sold!
« on: February 21, 2011, 19:51:42 »

Lot #121: 1970 280SL Horizon Blue w/Midnight Blue two-tone. "This SL boasts a limited ownership record of only three caretakers, each of whom pampered the car and used it sparingly. The roadster is finished with a high quality re-spray in Powder Blue... It also has its convertible soft top and original brightwork. The engine bay of this attractive SL has been detailed... reupholstered blue MB tex seats and matching carpets... black door panels and dash trim that are believed to be original... automatic transmission, air-conditioning, AM/FM radio and bumper guards... toolkit and owner’s manuals.. well-preserved and unharmed example of this modern classic." SOLD for $49,500. Hmm, while the images looked fairly encouraging, the engine bay shot reveals black inner aprons (a definite no-no ) and a fairly messy right front fender edge. After chatting with my spies I'm told the hood/front fenders and nose of this car had been crudely replaced. So, we have another example of a sub-standard Pagoda bringing $50k. And the brochure description certainly did not help things by noting it to be "unharmed" and "an example that has never been restored, it is remarkably preserved." These comments were absolute nonsense. I'll note this sale as overpriced by $20k or 40%. Or, as Keith Martin of SCM says, "well sold." Indeed.

I saw this on the net today... Perhaps $50k is just market price for a repainted 280? If so that is fine by me.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 19:54:41 by MichaelB. »