Author Topic: ...my Pagoda no longer for sale !  (Read 3847 times)

Witt

...my Pagoda no longer for sale !
« on: March 20, 2011, 22:41:32 »
As some of you know I had my 1970 280SL for sale for the last year or so. I like to share some of my experiences. This is meant to be an objective report only no gripes and or fingerpointing attempted.
Running the risk of this becoming a overly lengthy post I try to cut through the chase:

Reason for selling was not triggered by hardship or need for funds, I just wanted to get into another brand of convertible sports car, Porsche, E-Type, mid sixties Corvette.

The condition and history of my car is described in the for sale post.

The car was advertised at: e-bay, craiglist, buy & sell, auto trader, kijiji (?) Mercedes Heritage and of and on at the local Vancouver Sun and Province paper.

One offer at ebay was for a low $22k. Most inquiries where bogus to the point that I received a phony PayPal confirmation of the full asking price being deposited. To ad insult to injury ebay charged me the full commission, even though THEY warned me of this particular buyer. In their defense it was refunded later....mutch later.

Total inquiries received, approx. 30, 10 being scam replies fro Russia, Nigeria....you know the type.

Even after lowering the price drastically, only one other offer of $26k came in. Only two parties over the whole year came to actually test drive the car.

Conclusion: A car is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for.
 There are sixty pagodas listed at Mercedes Heritage, disregarding the so called John Lennon car the average price is $38,250 the lowest being $17,500 and the highest $59,000.

Hemmings classified has 67 Pagodas, by eliminating the unrealistic low ($4000) and high ($125,000) the average comes to 39,250. Lowest: $13,500 / highest: $65,000.

It seems that our Pagodas are not as rare, valuable and sought after by others as we would like to think. Wouldn't it be interesting if we, the members start to compile a list of HONEST prices that Pagodas have been bought and sold for.

I realise that I may be opening that proverbal can of worms, but I wellcome further input on this subject

CHEERS !
WITT !

PS: ....now I am going to shop around for a descent sound system for the car....

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 22:52:31 by Witt »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: ...my Pagoda no longer for sale !
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 23:00:02 »
Witt,

Your experience in trying to sell your car is the very opposite of mine trying to buy a car.

I have been looking in the USA/Canada for a RHD Pagoda in daily driver condition as a minimum.  They do come up for sale through Mercedes Heritage, Kent Cars and several other outlets in the USA about once every month or so.

In the last month I have responded to two advertisements for sale within 24 hours of the car being listed. Both times I have made offers, sight unseen, for the asking amount.  In both instances I have been told by the seller that they went within 12 hours of listing at the asking price, so sorry not quick enough.

They come and go so quickly that I don't even get time to have someone go and check them out for me as I tried last time with Alfred (66 and Blue) and with a LA commercial forum member but could not get them there quick enough.

That covers RHD cars. Now with LHD US delivered Pagodas, I am now getting, unwanted, about 4 - 6 offers every day for what appear to be really good LHD US delivered cars that are either chassis off restored in the last ten years or in excellent original condition.  Pricing ranging from mid $20k's to mid $50k's and always open to offers and sometimes willing to drop 25% or more.

Moral of the story is probably the theory of supply and demand, plenty of LHD cars, very few RHD cars in the USA. At this point the RHD do not seem to be getting a premium to compensate for the international favourable exchange rate against the greenback.

I keep looking
Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 18:14:13 »
Just to add a bit to the facts and no griping; I've sold cars over the past few years and never saw a dime of commission. So, the market may have plenty of cars around, but all that activity comes with the hassles of selling. As in, time wasters, scammers, cheats, dealing with ebay and pay pal, etc.

It's the way it is in mid range, price level cars. Usually more lookers than buyers. If we were talking about unrestored 190SL's - they sell themselves. 300SL's - well, that's a whole different league with a waiting list.

If you can't get a real buyer or a real price it's better to keep the car.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Witt

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 21:41:08 »
.......thank you Dan, I feel better allready.....

CHEERS !
WITT !