Author Topic: Tools....  (Read 6439 times)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Tools....
« on: March 07, 2011, 14:17:58 »
If you were getting together a toolkit for maintaining and doing basic repairs on your Pagoda, what would it include?

For example, you may have the world's greatest Torx bit set but I don't ever recall seeing a Torx head on my car.

James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

graphic66

Re: Tools....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 15:36:49 »
A tach and dwell meter, timing light, valve adjusting wrench and a Pointy grease gun adapter for door hinges. These are a few things not normally found in a modern toolbox, I'm sure there are plenty more tools you will find that are peculiar to these cars.

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 17:26:23 »
Plus the Gunson Co2 Analyser, made getting the mixture correct a doddle.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

jacovdw

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 17:43:17 »
I second what Larry said about the Gunson CO tester.
It certainly has made my life much easier.

Don't forget about a good quality torque wrench though to add to the list graphic66 started.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 19:44:45 »
Gunson Co2 Analyser
Wrong!
Gunson CO tester
Right!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 19:45:08 »
In addition to an obvious set of metric wrenches and sockets, be sure to get some the larger sizes that are not generally part of a set. 19mm and a 22mm come to mind. And some hex sockets.
James
63 230SL

dseretakis

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 21:37:17 »
Feeler gauges to adjust points and valves. A 3/8 inch drive flex head ratchet makes spark plug changes easier as does a magnetic spark plug socket. Also can anyone shed some light on what would be the correct valve adjustment wrench? I'm sure that Baum tools probably sells it.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 23:44:55 »
Quote from: stickandrudderman
Gunson Co2 Analyser
Wrong!
Gunson CO tester
Right!
Well, not quite wrong... unit actually measures CO2!
This is a text that describes the workings of the Gas Tester unit:
Gastester works on the 'hot wire' or thermal conductivity principle. According to this principle, the thermal conductivity of a gas depends on the particular mixture of gases present, and is largely independent of gas temperature. In practice the thermal conductivity of exhaust gas varies only with the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) that is present. Gastester measures the thermal conductivity of the exhaust gas, and therefore measures its carbon dioxide content. Since there is a inverse relationship between carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide (CO), as CO2 goes up CO goes down and vice versa. Gastester senses CO2 but displays CO. The 'correct' CO level will generally result in improved performance, better fuel consumption, and cleaner more environmentally friendly exhaust emissions. The secret to Gastester's success is the patented sensor that provides accurate CO reading at an affordable price.
/Hans in Sweden

/Hans S

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 00:42:46 »
12 volt test light; a necessity for doing basic testing such as, fuel pump, distributor, running lights or anything that needs voltage.
 Often times we tend to over complicate a small problem. Once it's found you always think, '' Man, that was so simple, why didn't I think of that? ''
Trouble shooting is about checking for primary function. I can't remember how many times I've seen cases of a blown fuse turn into tearing half the car apart. Of course, we learn best from our mistakes, yes?
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

snowyt 69

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 01:57:07 »
BEER!
Lots and preferably cold.
Quality beer by the way.
You are working on a Mercedes after all.

dseretakis

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 02:48:29 »
BEER!
Lots and preferably cold.
Quality beer by the way.
You are working on a Mercedes after all.

Yes cold beer is a must for longer jobs:). I prefer cheaper light beer when working on cars-it's more refreshing.

gatorjaws

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 06:16:20 »
rachet wrenches (standard & shorties),seal puller,standard puller (small), C clamp (small),air compressor, air driven rachet ( 3/8 drive),wire strippers, soldering gun,various sizes of pry bars, plastic mallet, mechanic gloves, safety glasses, ear plugs, telescoping mirror, telescoping magnet, good quality spark plug wrench, factory valve adjusting tool ( there is no substitute for this tool) needlenose vise grips (small) all sizes of scewdrivers (standard and phillips) definitly the shorty screw driver (#2 phillips and standard) tig welder, mig welder,floor jack, jack stands, dremel tool or air driven pencil grinder, ox/ acetelene torch, s shaped wrenches & c shaped wrenches, brass punches in various sizes, hand cleaner, solvent tank, oil catch pan, 6 point & 12 point socket sets standard & deep, 1/4 drive socket set standard & deep,very good needlenose pliers various lengths, ball peen hammers ( not too big), punches, STAY SOBER UNTIL THE JOB IS DONE & remember that everything can be fixed if you have enough time & money! Always rember what Harry said....A man's got to know his limitations. I will not touch the injection pump. P.S. a set of american ignition wrenches can come in very handy but they are very expensive for what you get($75.00). Also a set of thin wrenches are good to have. They used to be called tappet wrenches.