Author Topic: My 230SL  (Read 10975 times)

Rolf

My 230SL
« on: January 24, 2011, 02:11:34 »
For the passed several weeks my car has been in the shop. I am trying to get it as close to factory as I can. When I bought it the color was DB180 with a blue interior. I am having it painted DB542 (Dark Red). I originally brought it there because there was rust and holes under the front wheels at the aft end. I was hoping just the metal could be replaced at those spots but..... When work was started on the car, more rust was found, along with pounds of bondo, Duct Tape, screening used for Wallboard Compound, flashing and other material someone had used to " patch" it up. I decided to have the whole car done. I found out the frame was off by three inches. I have included some pictures of the "minor" rust.

Rolf

Re: My 230SL
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 04:09:34 »
The rust is gone along with the various substances used on the prior repair. Real metal takes their place. And the base coat is on. 

dseretakis

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:26:45 »
Do you have any pictures of the rusted areas with the patch panels welded in place? I find those types of pics very enjoyable.

Rolf

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:51:49 »
The only picture I have at present is the repair right front wheel well. I will get all the pictures when the car is finished. The guy doing all of the work is taking pictures as he goes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:54:57 by Rolf »

dseretakis

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:56:17 »
Looks good. This is always such an exciting process!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 02:37:34 »
Very cool. I too am always drawn in by this process. I fear to death my own undertaking but seeing others is fun. Now about that patch panel: I recall seeing these from the vendors. At the point where my fenders screw to the rockers, front of the doors, the seams have rusted out. The rest of my fenders are fine -- so I bet that patch panel is what I'll need. I imagine they cut the old section out and weld that panel?  
James
63 230SL

Rolf

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:44:09 »
I got the patch panel from Bud's Benz for around 85.00 a piece. I needed one for each side. They were OEM parts. They were modified because the rust did not continue past the wells. The metal was rusted through at the wheel wells so he cut them down to fit. I  found there were no splash guards which were also installed.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:46:21 by Rolf »

Rolf

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 21:55:09 »
Finally has coat of paint. Not quite finished, needs buffing but looking good. Can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel but still a little far away.

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 21:57:26 »
Hello Rolf,

;) :D
Ah great, that looks really phantastic, great color!
BTW, what are you planning to do with your interior? Blue with red? :o

Please keep on the excellent work and keep us updated. ;)

Best,
Achim
Achim
(Germany)

MichaelB.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 22:40:08 »
Yes great color.

Rolf

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 01:01:58 »
I'm going with a Bamboo interior. I like the way those colors go together. Just waiting to have it installed.

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 10:10:12 »
She's becoming a beauty, but those rust photos always give me the creeps...
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

Rolf

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 22:26:52 »
The amount of rust, as in the pictures, was not evident until all the Bondo, duct tape, webbing and flashing were uncovered after the Schmutz was taken off. It's all gone now to my relief.

Rolf

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 00:51:38 »
Finally, I got a call from the chromer. It's ready. I plan on going down to Philly to pick it up. I hope all the pieces travel back to Jersey with me. The upholsterer is busy doing what he says he does best. The guy doing my car told me a gentleman came in and saw my car and like it a lot. He then ask if he could possibly fix the damage to his car from his wife backing out of the garage and creasing the driver side. I was asked if I would go with him to look at the car. I asked him what the model was and was told a Gullwing. I do plan on going to look at the damage. Maybe I can make a trade? Nah, no way. I will post some pictures of the progress on my car as soon as I get some.

mb280slmex

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 19:53:56 »
Finally, I got a call from the chromer. It's ready. I plan on going down to Philly to pick it up. I hope all the pieces travel back to Jersey with me. The upholsterer is busy doing what he says he does best. The guy doing my car told me a gentleman came in and saw my car and like it a lot. He then ask if he could possibly fix the damage to his car from his wife backing out of the garage and creasing the driver side. I was asked if I would go with him to look at the car. I asked him what the model was and was told a Gullwing. I do plan on going to look at the damage. Maybe I can make a trade? Nah, no way. I will post some pictures of the progress on my car as soon as I get some.

Iam restoring other 230 SL 1966, can someone tell me the color to be down for the body, on the floor.
In the center of the car is a color like skin color. Do you have a photos that show the color of florr of the car down.